How does a sponge filter work?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DivaSkyChick

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me the dynamics of a sponge filter? If you connect it to an air pump, how does the garbage get sucked INTO the sponge? Or am I totally misunderstanding the concept?

Can someone point me to the best cheap components for a 10 gallon quarantine tank and suggest a website where I might be able to order online? I tried to buy a sponge filter from my LFS today and the unit he said I needed was $50! I could buy a ten gallon tank with hood, light, UGF and all sorts of bits for the same amount.

Also found out that LFS have vastly different prices. New bulbs today cost me $30 a piece. At the next store they were half that. New baby marble angel fish cost $11.99 (usa) at the same pricey store and only $4.99 at a the third LFS I visited today. None of these stores were "pet stores" - they were all very nicely kept up fish only stores.

I can't really explain HOW a sponge filter works, but I can tell you they DO work! :) I use one in my 10 gallon tank that has platy fry in it.

I bought mine for super cheap from ebay. Or try Drs. Foster & Smith online (here) -- they're $2.99 plus you'd need a small pump for it, again you can get those super cheap off ebay or even Walmart/Petsmart/petco. You definately shouldn't need to spend $50!! More like $10-20 MAX. Hope that helps.

I am not positive about this but this is what I got from reading about them. You do hook them up to an air pump then just place on the bottom of the tank.

The air coming from the air pump is pushed through the sponge media.

The water in each cell is displaced by air. (think of the little cells in the sponge as tiny buckets of water)

New water quickly rushes into each cell as soon as the bubble exits the cell.

The crud from the new water clings to the sponges jagged edges as it enters and exits.

Then the cycle starts over.

Hope I enterpreted that correctly and maybe answered your question.
I was wondering the same thing so I didn't mind looking around for an answer.

itZme

i think what itzme said is quite accurate,... it creattes a vaccum which sucks in the water then pushes it out, all you have to do is hook it to an air pump, place it in the tank and plug it in!

It actually doesN't shoot the air through the sponge, the sponge just acts as a bacteria zone.

What it is is a plastic tube that is attached to the sponge, inside that tube is an airline tubing that is attached to your air pump. this airline ends in the tube. Air passed through the air line and goes up to the surface. the bubbles will create a small water current, forcing water to go up.

The water from the tank goes through the sponge and out the tube so the ammonia is destroyed by your sponge's bacteria

as simple as it gets.

Sponge filters provide very little mechanical filtration, no chemical filtration but a very good biological filtration

Hi DivaSkyChick :)

Actually, I would suggest using an inexpensive box filter for a small quarantine tank. They are connected to an air pump too, but are about as old fashioned and inexpensive as you can get, yet they are efficient and you can easily dispose of the filter media and replace it after each use if you are concerned about germs.

I prefer using a sponge filter in a tank with very small fry, because they develop beneficial bacteria on them, but they are not very good at filtering pariculate matter.

Here's a link where I explain some things about them. It's about setting up a breeding tank, but the information might help you. Please scroll down to the 4th post from the bottom and you will find the post I am referring to.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showto...l=breeding+tank

:D

Thanks so much - that really helps.

Now if I could just get my new angel fish to eat... They are hanging out at the bottom of the tank and take no notice of food! I thought they were supposed to be middle / top swimmers? :huh:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back