How do you take fish out without putting water in tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I agree with not adding 'store water' to a tank but do not use a net. I use a colander like you would use to drain pasta instead of a net. It gives a larger target to catch the fish and is totally smooth to help avoid potential harm to the fish. The one shown below is what I have. It is 7 inches across the top. With this I can easily do in my kitchen sink with no worry about needing a bucket. Yes, I still use it to drain pasta. I just wash the thing. ;)

IMG_2380.JPG

I agree with not adding 'store water' to a tank but do not use a net. I use a colander like you would use to drain pasta instead of a net. It gives a larger target to catch the fish and is totally smooth to help avoid potential harm to the fish. The one shown below is what I have. It is 7 inches across the top. With this I can easily do in my kitchen sink with no worry about needing a bucket. Yes, I still use it to drain pasta. I just wash the thing. ;)

View attachment 164438
Avoid potential harm? What harm would there be in using a net for fish? No aquatic pet would fall through the net except maybe newborn fry.

Avoid potential harm? What harm would there be in using a net for fish? No aquatic pet would fall through the net except maybe newborn fry.
Any time you catch a fish and remove it from water, and have it in a net or plastic strainer, you can damage the mucous layer, skin or eyes of the fish and allow potential disease organisms easier access to the fish.

A fine mesh net is better for the fish because they are softer and smoother.

Use a reasonable sized net and if possible, have the net partially in water (in a bucket) before you pour the fish into it. That way the fish goes into the net but lands in water in the net. Then lift the fish out and put it into the aquarium.

Most fish don't breath air and don't normally come out of water (there are a couple of exceptions), so the less time they spend suspended in a net, in the air, hanging over a bucket, the better.

Some fish also have barbs - plecos and corydoras have spines within their fins which can get caught in nets. The colander is a brilliant idea... I'll be adopting that!

Some fish also have barbs - plecos and corydoras have spines within their fins which can get caught in nets. The colander is a brilliant idea... I'll be adopting that!
Also, unless you have a REALLY large net, there is less chance of dropping a fish or missing the net when you dump the fish out of the net.

I use a highly unscientific way of moving fish from bag to aquarium

Get my trusty 2 litre plastic jug (used for water changes), half fill with water from destination aquarium and take it into the kitchen. Wrap it in a towel to keep warmth in and to keep light out (thus not too scary for the beasties in the bag)

Grab my big water change tub, balance an ultra fine net over one corner. Gently pour the contents of the bag through the net, fish in net, pop them immediately into the jug of aquarium water, submerge jug into the aquarium and beasties swim out without assistance or being dropped or plopped from great height.

Beasties none the wiser other than their "bag" just got alot bigger and "oooooooh......green things...bubbles to play in....new friends....WEYHEY!"

Not lost a single beastie yet (including Cories) :)

occasionally a fish fin gets caught in the net and you have to cut a hole in the net to free the fish, most often with catfish species in my experience

I would offer the thought that there are different ways to safely do this. Specific methods could probably be discussed for a long time but I think, as long as it is safe for the fish, the best solution is the one that the human is comfortable with doing. For me that is by using a colander. For another it may be a net. As long as proper precautions are used they both work in most cases.

So which is really better, a colander or net? For me it is the colander but that may not be true for another as there is always the human factor. Let's just say that a human is comfortable with a net and it is somehow proven that a colander is actually better. If the human is not comfortable with the colander but is comfortable with a net I say to use the net just due to the likelihood of going with a solution that is not comfortable to the human would lead to a higher possibility of messing up just due to nerves. Just as each and every snow flake is unique so is each and every human. Unless a process is proven to be harmful to our wards I would think it is best for the human to be comfortable with the method.

LOL! To be honest I always use the net method. It is just that my net is a colander.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back