HOW do you get zucchini to sink?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
if it has not been said before, i may add in my two cents. ;)

basically, many fish will not take to zucchini straight up. It takes a while because the veggie is so crisp, I Usually leave it in my tank for about 12 - 24hrs to let the water soften it for them.

To keep to to the bottom of the tank, i usually place four toothpicks through it and into the gravel, that way, you can not see them and place it where ever you want in the tank :)

Thought I might stick my oar in since i havent posted in ages
I use the lead that comes attached to plants at the lfs, just pierce the cucumber with it and drop it in

Cheers

Yay for screwcumber. Freeze it first and then thaw it. The process helps to break down the tougher bits without nutrient loss

I just nuked a piece of cucumber , it still floats ? What am I missing here ? :unsure:

Par boiling adds extra liquid and gets rid of trapped oxygen. Result = more dense and sinks.

Par boiling adds extra liquid and gets rid of trapped oxygen. Result = more dense and sinks.

Yes but it is at the expense of nutrients. Vitamins are lost due to heat and water.

Yes but it is at the expense of nutrients. Vitamins are lost due to heat and water.

i boil cucumber on the hob for around 10-15 seconds then put it in the freezer for another 10 seconds then just dig it in the gravel half way and put a stone against it

job done :good:

try boiling for a few minutes , it usually works for me.

do you boil cucumber too sorry i'm new to the site hope i'm not butting in here
not if you want an food value left, for the fish.

I always use a small piece of slate and a rubber band, cucumber shouldn't be left in for more than about 5 hours.

can i ask why you should take the cucumber out? i always leave mine in and the fish eat it all with about 2 days.
paranoia. in theory it COULD cause water problems. truth is if you do have water problems after putting it in. you have a very weak filtration system.

I always use a small piece of slate and a rubber band, cucumber shouldn't be left in for more than about 5 hours.

can i ask why you should take the cucumber out? i always leave mine in and the fish eat it all with about 2 days.

if your fish take two days to eat it perhaps try putting a smaller bit in so it is eaten
portion size is important. but i would say after 5 days. but then, my filtration can deal with it.

i boil cucumber on the hob for around 10-15 seconds then put it in the freezer for another 10 seconds then just dig it in the gravel half way and put a stone against it

job done :good:
as inchworm says

baring in mind how little nutritional value this has. both cutting (in air or water) and cooking. remove the vast proportion of its value. and all to make it sink. :crazy: remember, we are supposed to be giving these to the fish, for ITS benefit. not ours.
if you want to give, high quality nutrition from veg. use canned. :good: very possibly the best way to feed, fish, them.

Find a piece of metal or solid glass, I use a necklace ornament and stick it into your zuchinni, actually sticking anything that's solid but doesn't float should work. It'll sink into your tank, very simple just don't try a round or oval object the zuchinni can get loose from those, try something sharp. I used to feed my otto cucumbers, but it's extremely dirty as the only kind of cucumber they really to eat are the ones that are old and soft, those things fall apart in about 2 days :/ I'd just stick to feeding algae pellets for the most part and do an occasional vegetable once in a while. The algae in your tank is the best source of food for them though, my otto loves to suck on plants.

All i do is use a bulldog clip. i got a handful of cheap ones that aren't too strong, and they nicely weigh down whatever i need to put in...

mine goes straight in tank from fridge all i do is cut in half and stick a screwcumber through it and before i can get it to the bottom of the tank my plec is stuffing his face. all my fish will have a nibble

I don't think you should blanch. It removes nutrients and may leech into the water more easily. Maybe cut into circular slices and string them through fishing wire like a necklace, place a rock or decoration between each slice? :3

i don't weigh down the zucchini for the plecos.. i slice a zucchini long ways and drop the slices into the tank, they are completely gone in a couple days. and i never take it out, if you don't cook it first it doesn't get mushy or make a mess in the tank.

If you really want to be flashy, get yourself a screwcumber :hyper:

http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/php/detail62_28381.php

Works with Zucchini(UK = Aubergine) Cucumber melon etc, etc,etc

I have used rocks, but prefer those waited bases you find on old school sponge filters. They are round and easy to attach the zuc too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back