How do you fill water into your tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

iburley

Reaction score
For water changes when I first started this lark I'd haul a bucket up some steps above the tank level and siphon water into the tank during water changes. Arduous to say the least with a bucket of 10 or so litres and I'm not getting any younger :D And water inevitable gets spilled.

I use a simple squeezy siphon for draining the water.

So now I just gently tip the water from the bucket into the tank. I do treat with Prime or API de-chlorinator while filling each bucket and also mix hot and cold to get the temperature reasonably close to the target.

However, I'm thinking it would be better to have an electric pump to draw water up from the bucket on the floor. The tank top is about 4 or so feet high.

You'd think this was something that would be quite popular but I haven't yet found a pump that doesn't cost the earth to do this. I did try cheap electric drill driven pump but it was clumsy to use and I gave up on that.

Suggestions welcome!

You can get a pump for about 15 bucks. On Amazon.

I use a python water changer. It attaches to the sink and water is pumped directly into the tank from the sink. Works great.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I used an AquaClear 800 powerhead to fill my tanks with water that was in buckets on the floor. A smaller power head would also work (eg: AquaClear 201 or 301, or equivalent).

The top of my tanks were about 5 foot above the ground and I attached some plastic hose with a pvc pipe shaped like a U on the end. It filled the tank in a minute or two and no water spilt.

You can get a pump for about 15 bucks. On Amazon.

I use a python water changer. It attaches to the sink and water is pumped directly into the tank from the sink. Works great.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I found a video on how the Python works and it looks good - not cheap though. Might be in my Christmas present list :)

I have the Python also. I couldn’t have all of my tanks without it.

I change my water via a Syphon and 2 25litre buckets that each have a tap. I then haul them into my kitchen and lift them up on the worktop over the sink, open the taps and let most of the water drain out before closing the taps and manually tipping the remaining water into the sink.

I then connect a short hose to the cold water tap and fill the buckets which are now on the floor leaving enough space to top up the buckets with hot water from the hot water tap to bring the water up to temperature, I then add the required amount of Prime to each bucket.

I then haul each bucket into the living room and place them on my very heavy and strong coffee table. I then use 2 5litre buckets under the 25litre bucket taps and fill them, emptying each 5litre manually into the fishtank.

Once I've finished, it's time for a well earned sit down cause I most definitely need it!

I use a powerhead attached to a hosepipe to empty them. Since I use RO water I keep this in Jerry cans. I have taps for these (screw on lid with tap attached). I support these on 2 bits of wood on top of the tank and open the taps.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back