How do you deal with fry?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sharkweek178

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I have one livebearer, a male platy. I wouldn't mind getting him some platy friends. But what do you do for population control? How do you deal with all the babies?

tetras will eat the babies. Adult platies will eat the babies. I really don't get very many unless I overfeed

I've never liked all male livebearer tanks. But all you need is a mild mannered opportunistic species in with them. My platys don't eat their own fry in a well set up tank, but they eat the fry of other species. Most fish seem to compete that way.

All options already given overhere... :)

My fry go to trade at LFS for food, i used to be regularly over stocked with fry, So bad i set up more tanks to cope. As my female guppys seem to have given up birthing now at 2 yrs old, Its not a problem. Just need the corys to stop now 😄

I took the answer here for granted, but thinking about it over my morning coffee... I've dealt with fry numbers by choosing the parents differently. If you get a little experience, you begin to see what everyone has, and what some people want. If you have fry from what everyone has, then fish breeding in your tanks are a problem. If you do some legwork and find fish that people can't get, fry are a great bonus. You grow them to sexable size and there's never a problem finding homes. Fish breeding becomes fun.

Get a group of males, a group of virgin females, 1 male to a 2+ female ratio, and sell or give away fry, or don't remove fry and the parents will most likely eat them. I do not like the last option though as why not just get an all-same-sex group if you are just going to let the fry die?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back