How Do You Add Plants?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Naringlo

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello!

How do you add plants? My plants just die. I've tried in 2 different tanks and they just die. My local fish shop recommended some sort of liquid in a bottle to add to water. This sounds promising but I thought I'd check here first. My 120l has sand as substrate and my 33l has fine gravel. The light is on for around 12 hours a day, sometimes more. Water parameters are all good as I've just restarted the tank about 2-3 weeks ago but want to add some plants.

Also, what are the benefits of moss balls?

Thanks! :)

Could you provide us with some information about the lighting you have in the tanks and whether or not you are using Co2? Some plants may require a Co2 system or a higher or lower lighting level than you currently have. Once you know the set-up you've got, you will find it easier to find plants which are suitable for it and will thrive.

Its a fish box 120 with it's stardard lighting system. I found a shop online and the description says "Lighting
The lighting system includes both a high output 15w compact Bright Day Light (Great for daytime and plant growth AND a high output 15w compact Cool Blue Moon light for a relaxing nigh time feel.

These lights are individually switched so you can choose your preferred lighting effect.

These lamps are mounted in the lid and also feature built-in reflectors and splash protectors."

Well I don't know what the cool blue moon light is because I don't have that. And what is Co2? The plant I had in there was an amazon sword.
(Since the cool blue moon light isn't true, I'm not sure if the other part is though that is my tank. My lid is the one that pets at home had on display because they sold me a tank without a lid and my dad kept ringing up and then they just pretended the lid arrived but just gave us the one on display which could be display made)

Bulb says 240v/50Hz. 2 Bulbs total.

What wattage is the bulb? If its 2* 15W bulbs that is enough light for plant growth. How long did you keep the lights on for?

CO2 is carbon dioxide which plants take in. Not much point thinking about that at the moment though!

"liquid in a bottle".. Do you know what this is? Would be interested to know what liquid he advises. Really if you want to go down the fertiliser route a pic of your tank would help + what plants you'd like to put in? as well as how much fish are in there?

Did the plants just go brown/yellow and fall apart?

Moss balls, well...they can hide small fry and compete against algae some what. They're mostly just for people who like there look.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back