How do we feel about this..

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Metta

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Itā€™s a 30L tank going for a shrimp/nano tank using rocks only, the idea is to carpet the substrate with Monte Carlo or somthing similar stems at the back with some smaller stuff attached to the rocks and creveses. Substrate is Tropica soil Iā€™m just wanting some advice what to do to make it better re arranged with not having much room :) it will be co2 injected

TIA

Attachments

• 88FF8074-125C-414E-BECF-69006BA0558F.jpeg
    88FF8074-125C-414E-BECF-69006BA0558F.jpeg
    272.2 KB · Views: 65
This is looking interesting!! Looks really cool now but a few simple tweaks could take it up a notch. I've done some sketches hope this is ok! Feel free to tell me to get lost!

What you have looks like its creating a valley shape and I think you could do this better if you put in more perspective and tried to fit most of the rocks in this kind of shape with the blue lines. I'd probably move the small rock in the middle to make that real V shape building perspective.

Screenshot 2022-06-08 at 20.56.25.png

I'd move this big rock to the back and build around it, its quite a different colour to the rest which is a bit distracting and one or two small/medium bits to the front would help it blend in and make it look more natural.

Screenshot 2022-06-08 at 20.54.57.png

One thing that will help with the perspective is getting all the lines or striations in your rocks angled in a way that makes them match, think about a flowing river and how they would erode naturally the flow of the water would wear lines in a similar way but angling them to suit your perspective helps. I've drawn some on here to get an idea - the two top rocks on the right are doing the right kind of thing, both pointing diagonally up towards the corner. Some rocks have multiple directions but if everything around them points the same way your eye will pick up on the ones you want it too.

Screenshot 2022-06-08 at 20.55.05.png

Eg this rock if you rotated it 90 degrees you would get angles running towards the top corner

Screenshot 2022-06-08 at 20.54.50.png

An other thing I think would help the perspective is the small rock in the front, have the front corner I've highlighted pointing to the front leading your eye to the either the top left or right back corners.

Screenshot 2022-06-08 at 20.54.43.png

Something else I'm wondering is how steep is the angle of your soil, it looks quite deep at the front and not sure it raises much at the back? You could lower the front bit by about a third and still be ok and raising the height at the back so its at least 6 inches deep will really add perspective, especially as the plants fill in.

Planting wise what do you think to Dwarf Hairgrass in the front Blyxa Japonica around the base of the rocks and then Juncus and Rotala H'ra as the stems? Some small Buce on the rocks would look good too, or moss, maybe Fissidens?

Wills

This is looking interesting!! Looks really cool now but a few simple tweaks could take it up a notch. I've done some sketches hope this is ok! Feel free to tell me to get lost!

What you have looks like its creating a valley shape and I think you could do this better if you put in more perspective and tried to fit most of the rocks in this kind of shape with the blue lines. I'd probably move the small rock in the middle to make that real V shape building perspective.

View attachment 161035

I'd move this big rock to the back and build around it, its quite a different colour to the rest which is a bit distracting and one or two small/medium bits to the front would help it blend in and make it look more natural.

View attachment 161036

One thing that will help with the perspective is getting all the lines or striations in your rocks angled in a way that makes them match, think about a flowing river and how they would erode naturally the flow of the water would wear lines in a similar way but angling them to suit your perspective helps. I've drawn some on here to get an idea - the two top rocks on the right are doing the right kind of thing, both pointing diagonally up towards the corner. Some rocks have multiple directions but if everything around them points the same way your eye will pick up on the ones you want it too.

View attachment 161037

Eg this rock if you rotated it 90 degrees you would get angles running towards the top corner

View attachment 161038

An other thing I think would help the perspective is the small rock in the front, have the front corner I've highlighted pointing to the front leading your eye to the either the top left or right back corners.

View attachment 161039

Something else I'm wondering is how steep is the angle of your soil, it looks quite deep at the front and not sure it raises much at the back? You could lower the front bit by about a third and still be ok and raising the height at the back so its at least 6 inches deep will really add perspective, especially as the plants fill in.

Planting wise what do you think to Dwarf Hairgrass in the front Blyxa Japonica around the base of the rocks and then Juncus and Rotala H'ra as the stems? Some small Buce on the rocks would look good too, or moss, maybe Fissidens?

Wills

Hi Wills,

Thanks for the extent reply and drawings this is much appreciated! I love the choice of plants too!

Regarding the slope towards the back it is sloped however I canā€™t go any higher due to the heater :(.

But Iā€™m definitely going to have a go at the above drawings and line work. Iā€™ve had a manic week at work so Iā€™ve not been online alot with a 1 year old running riot, so sorry for the late reply Iā€™ll post some images when I next change it around :)

Hi Wills,

Thanks for the extent reply and drawings this is much appreciated! I love the choice of plants too!

Regarding the slope towards the back it is sloped however I canā€™t go any higher due to the heater :(.

But Iā€™m definitely going to have a go at the above drawings and line work. Iā€™ve had a manic week at work so Iā€™ve not been online alot with a 1 year old running riot, so sorry for the late reply Iā€™ll post some images when I next change it around :)

No probs :) think this is going to look really cool! Can definitely relate to having a toddler running round - good to have these hobbies to unplug from the stresses sometimes :)

Wills

No probs :) think this is going to look really cool! Can definitely relate to having a toddler running round - good to have these hobbies to unplug from the stresses sometimes :)

Wills

Most definitely, Iā€™m excited to see this tank become Something hopefully Iā€™ll have it with your advice ready tomorrow evening weā€™ll the hard scape anyway, im then aiming to do a dark start for two weeks, then fully drain add plants and wait for some nice growth!

Most definitely, Iā€™m excited to see this tank become Something hopefully Iā€™ll have it with your advice ready tomorrow evening weā€™ll the hard scape anyway, im then aiming to do a dark start for two weeks, then fully drain add plants and wait for some nice growth!
Is a dark start where you fill the tank to let the soil leach out?

If so I'd add the plants from the start - the ammonia from the soil will give them a kick start and help them be growing by the time you add fish.

Make sure you keep us upto date with pictures :)

Wills

Is a dark start where you fill the tank to let the soil leach out?

If so I'd add the plants from the start - the ammonia from the soil will give them a kick start and help them be growing by the time you add fish.

Make sure you keep us upto date with pictures :)

Wills

Yes is it mate doing water changes every other day to keep the amonia at a base level. My only issue with adding plants straight away is the amonia is far to high for th plants and may completely melt. Is this correct?

Having already set up another nano tank this week, I'm a bit disappointed I didn't find and understand Coral Moss previously.
I did buy some as it was wrongly bagged as Java Moss so it got used but not in the way I would have used it had I known about it properly.
It looks absolutely great on hardscape.

Yes is it mate doing water changes every other day to keep the amonia at a base level. My only issue with adding plants straight away is the amonia is far to high for th plants and may completely melt. Is this correct?

I'd be tempted to follow George Farmers method - which I think is also on the Tropica App. So its changes every day for the first week, then every other day for week 2 and then 3 a week and 2 a week down to one a week as your regular routine.

Wills

I'd be tempted to follow George Farmers method - which I think is also on the Tropica App. So its changes every day for the first week, then every other day for week 2 and then 3 a week and 2 a week down to one a week as your regular routine.

Wills

Again sorry for late reply,
I do have the all which is actually pretty good! I guess Iā€™ll not be adding any love stock till after the first 2 weeks? Iā€™ve edited the hardscape slightly using your advice Iā€™ll upload some photos in the morning :)

Little update - Monte Carlo carpet, juncus and rotala at the back, some pogostemon around some of the rocks and staurogyene. Please as much advice as you can give on how Iā€™ve done. Never done this much beforeā€¦. All using 1-2 grow pots.

Attachments

• 6132D073-57DD-4AE7-9642-4CC06CBB8127.jpeg
    6132D073-57DD-4AE7-9642-4CC06CBB8127.jpeg
    407.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 710C8D74-92E5-4F6B-B215-E21B267403E2.jpeg
    710C8D74-92E5-4F6B-B215-E21B267403E2.jpeg
    366.6 KB · Views: 56
PLEASE ENTER IT INTO THE TOTM CONTEST!! lol... There are only four entries and boring starts in four hours. Is it under 30g?

I like the rock work! Looks really good!

Oh wait... I just went back to read the first post... Is I under 17g? If so then you can't enter into THIS contest... Man I was really hoping you would be able to... Nice tank!

Oh wait... I just went back to read the first post... Is I under 17g? If so then you can't enter into THIS contest... Man I was really hoping you would be able to... Nice tank!

Thanks man, some little things I need to Ammend. This is 30L I have a 90L tank low tech I could enter maybe :)

Thanks man, some little things I need to Ammend. This is 30L I have a 90L tank low tech I could enter maybe :)
Ah ok.
Maybe you should try entering! We only have four entries atm.

Most reactions

trending

Back