How Do I Treat This Fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fishlette

Fish Addict
Reaction score
i need some advice on what the best thing to do is. i went to an lfs yesterday to get myself a little girl bolivian ram to be friends with my boy bolivian ram. i saw this poor girl in the tank and just had to have her. she has a huge chunk out of her dorsal fin. she is in my community tank and i would like to treat her but im not sure what with. i was thinking about melafix as i have a few others in the tank with chewed on fins (i had a nasty platy in there who progressed in one night from chasing everyone to actually chewing on everyone :angry: moved him out promptly). it says to remove activated carbon before use. does that mean only the carbon stuff and not things like bio balls, ceramic noodles etc?? i have not long (about 4 days now) added a canister filter which has about 8 layers of different kinds of media. i hope i dont have to remove all those :)

other than that i have salt but a lot of the fish in this tank arent tolerant of salt and the only other option is my brackish tank which i figured would still have too much salt for the ram the cory and the columbian tetra.

i also have a broad spectrum anti biotic that also requires removal of activated carbon. can we all tell ive never had to medicate my home tanks??? lol its easy at work cause you have to isolate the tank being treated and i KNOW i can treat the tank hehe

anyway here is a pic of the poor girl. the boy is lookin fine and the girl acts fine and all i ust hate seeing her with this huge cunk out of her fin

randoms076.jpg

Is that red at the top of her fin there? If so it seems to me like its fin rot.

Okay I was not sure which one was the female...

Well if it does not look like there is any fungus on it. Or as long as there is no more disappearing. I would just treat with an anti-fungal to prevent anything from showing up. Just as a precaution.

Also when it says remove carbon, that would be your charcoal stuff only usually. Unless the medication says that it messes with your biological filtration then you would have to take those bio-balls and that out. But when it says only remove the carbon, that is the charcoal like stuff only.

Okay I was not sure which one was the female...

Well if it does not look like there is any fungus on it. Or as long as there is no more disappearing. I would just treat with an anti-fungal to prevent anything from showing up. Just as a precaution.

Also when it says remove carbon, that would be your charcoal stuff only usually. Unless the medication says that it messes with your biological filtration then you would have to take those bio-balls and that out. But when it says only remove the carbon, that is the charcoal like stuff only.

ok it just says activated carbon cause that will make the treatment useless. another question: my antibiotics contain malachite green, aminacrine and mafenide? will these things be ok for the snails and the bn plecs, corys, tetras, loaches and gouramis?

or i could just use melafix which i know is ok for these guys..???

Normally for catfish that dont have any scales you half the doses cause it irritates their skin. Melafix should do the trick. Im not sure if it will fully regrow. Maybe the people in cichlids would be ale to tell you more. I know when corys lose their barbels there is a chance that it would grow back.

Melafix helps, but what really helps is fresh water. If the female is in a larger tank, put her in something like a 10 gallon, and do 50% water changes daily for a week. With plenty of fresh water fins will grow back amazingly fast.

I would try to isolate her and treat her separatly if you can at all costs. The container does not need to be large, as she will not be in there for long.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back