How Do I Tell When She Is Having The Babies

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

samxx

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hi,
i have about 8 females guppies in my 4 ft tank who are going to have babies soon , so i would like to move them into my 2ft when they are very near to having babies ( i do not think any fish in my 2 ft tank ), i do not want to move females to soon in the 2 ft as they would be alone , i know you can tell when they are going to have babies by there red spot on there tum, but does it go really red & big when they are going to have babies ?

hi,
how many are pregnant? they get kind of square looking close to birth, and can get grumpy, also eat like mad or go off food, and hide. if you move them to near to the birth in a tank they dont know they may hold pff having the fry until they feel safe, lots of hiding places and a good diet with reg water changes can make them more at ease. all the best with them, donna :) .

Besides being very huge, my females will seclude themsleves from the rest of the fish and go hide somewhere peaceful to give birth. This could be a cave, bush of plants or elsewhere where she feels hidden. She will stay still there until she has some, them swim around a bit then stay very still and release more, somethimes 4 or 5 at a time. Most importantly if you the want fry to survive, have lots of bushy plants that also reach the surface. I always have surface plants and that's where i always find the fry hiding.
Here's a pic of one of mine 2hours before giving birth:
Ripley.jpg

Most reactions

Back