How do I remove algae from gravel?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LexiLex888

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was just wondering if there was anyway to remove the algae on my rocks without removing the gravel from the tank?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 112
You can get a fish that could clean the gravel for you like shrimp or a bn pleco. Or have you tried gavel vacumming the rocks or does that not pull the algae of the rocks.

A gravel cleaner you can get at the shops for pretty cheap. How it works is you suck on the the pipe end and let the water flow through the tube and into the bucket. Place the large area that is in the tank into the gravel, and it will slowly suck up the algae and remove it. When you stick it into the gravel, let it sit for five seconds so that all the algae gets removed, and repeat it throughout the whole tank! ;)

As mentioned by Lazarus above, use a gravel cleaner each week when you do a water change. It will remove gunk from the gravel and mix the gravel up so the algae can't grow on it as well.

I agree. Just use your siphon to get all of that nasty algae out. :)

HI Aquariumclub, when you say rubbing rocks, do you mean rub off the algae with your hands while the gravel is in the tank, and then siphon up the loose algae? If so what if the algae is really stuck on? thanks in advance!

HI Aquariumclub, when you say rubbing rocks, do you mean rub off the algae with your hands while the gravel is in the tank, and then siphon up the loose algae? If so what if the algae is really stuck on? thanks in advance!
I personally use a sponge. (One that has never been used around chemicals)

Just scrub all of the algae off and let your filter clear the water up. If you have someone to help you, you can have them stand next to you with a running siphon, to suck up the loose algae.

perfect, I will use the algae sponge I purchased for them, and have my wife follow me with a siphon. thanks for the help PheonixKingZ

I am no expert on anything fish yet lol but I was battling a BAD algae problem.. on everything plants, glass, gravel etc! After a deep cleaning I got a Nerite snail and let me tell ya... it’s been amazing! That sucker got Everything off.. even the stuff that was on the gravel. So maybe that’s something you can try.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back