How do i relieve my stressed bettas

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

lalaoal

Reaction score
my bettas seem to be stressed about the sponge filters, when i turn off the air pump however they seem to be calm. Its theyre second day here and im wondering if im doing something wrong

Two days is nothing. I would not be too concerned. Leave the filters running normally. 99% of fish can take several days to several weeks to settle into a new home and get used to things like filters and other "new" things.

Look at it as when you went to school for the very first time. New places, new noises, new people...enough to freak anyone out and it takes time to feel settled in and safe

All animals are exactly the same, they get used to their new surroundings over time....if you keep turning the filters off, all you are doing is extending the time they take in becoming settled with them there, they'll not get used to them and thus ignore the strange bubbles and noises from them if you constantly turn them on/off.

Look at it as when you went to school for the very first time. New places, new noises, new people...enough to freak anyone out and it takes time to feel settled in and safe

All animals are exactly the same, they get used to their new surroundings over time....if you keep turning the filters off, all you are doing is extending the time they take in becoming settled with them there, they'll not get used to them and thus ignore the strange bubbles and noises from them if you constantly turn them on/off.
oh, thanks. i was kind of freaking out wondering if the water parameters were bad and stuff like that

We do need to know if you have more than one betta in a tank. You were talking a while ago about breeding bettas - do you have a male and female in the same tank? If you do, that's more likely to stress them than the filter.

no, i keep them in seperate 5 gallon aquariums, and i even put a cardboard in between so they wont see each other

Good to hear! Besides letting them get used to the sponge filter, providing plenty of hiding places and tall plants can help ease stress. I find that bettas do well in 'busy' or somewhat crowded looking tanks that have plenty of cover for them. It helps them feel more secure.

Good to hear! Besides letting them get used to the sponge filter, providing plenty of hiding places and tall plants can help ease stress. I find that bettas do well in 'busy' or somewhat crowded looking tanks that have plenty of cover for them. It helps them feel more secure.
i will add some floaters in there to also keep the nitrates at bay

i will add some floaters in there to also keep the nitrates at bay

Sounds like a plan. Floaters are great but also just make sure you fill in other open spaces if there are any. I like to have hiding spots available in every level of the tank (top, middle, bottom). My betta is quite shy but I've noticed that the more cover he has the more he explores the tank.

People tend to buy Betta splendens for their fins, and so, the farms and breeders keep them in still water to reduce the chances of the impractical fins tearing. The fish haven't really been able to move since they could be sexed a ways back, and the sudden arrival of better days is shocking to them. The sponge filters will improve their lives, but two days in, they are just freaked out by them.
You may also see them having to 'work out' a little to gain the muscle strength the jar lifestyle will have caused.

People tend to buy Betta splendens for their fins, and so, the farms and breeders keep them in still water to reduce the chances of the impractical fins tearing. The fish haven't really been able to move since they could be sexed a ways back, and the sudden arrival of better days is shocking to them. The sponge filters will improve their lives, but two days in, they are just freaked out by them.
You may also see them having to 'work out' a little to gain the muscle strength the jar lifestyle will have caused.
the males just seems to be swimming against the glass and i can see the females stress stripes

+Everything is new to them. They need time to adjust and take it all in. No worries unless you see these things in 2-3 weeks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back