How do i rehome my Tiger Barb?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Koenator

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Bit of background:

I have 2 tanks, one is a 30 gallon community tank and one is a 10 gallon with just my barb in it. I cannot house my barb in the community because he is very aggressive, but cramping him into this 10 gallon is no good especially since he doesnā€™t have any other fish living in there with him. I want to get into fish breeding, but to do that I have to somehow find a new home for the barb. The only reason I have him is because my brother didnā€™t want him anymore and I thought he could play nice with my other fish. Nope. He nearly killed my guppy which I definitely could have seen coming, but what I didnā€™t see coming is that he is aggressive with ALL fish, not just longer finned ones. He attacked my mollies and platies as well, so I donā€™t know what to do with him.

I tried posting on craigslist, but the listing has been removed 3 times now for unknown reasons, and each time someone shows interest in the fish they just stop responding to my emails. I donā€™t know where else I can advertise him, does anyone have any suggestions? I donā€™t have the money to buy him more barbs and even if I did, a 10 gal isnt big enough. He is mature now and over 3 inches, quite a big boy.

Have you asked local fish stores near you if they can take him and rehome him with other barbs? They definitely need a group, and my lcal stores will take in fish like yours and find a home. Not all will, but call around and see!

Have you asked local fish stores near you if they can take him and rehome him with other barbs? They definitely need a group, and my lcal stores will take in fish like yours and find a home. Not all will, but call around and see!
I have asked one and they said due to his size they canā€™t. I will try others, but is that the only option here? Is there no other website to advertise fish?

I have asked one and they said due to his size they canā€™t. I will try others, but is that the only option here? Is there no other website to advertise fish?
I'm not in the US, so can't recommend specific websites/places in the US, hopefully a US member like @Slaphppy7 or @Fishmanic can. :)

Check for FB fishkeeping groups too - but facebook has cracked down hard on any selling of live animals, so it can be tricky. Last I looked at groups in my area a couple of months ago, people could still advertise a fish for free for rehoming, but had to be very careful because of FB becoming so strict about livestock trading.

In your shoes, I would join fishkeeping groups in your area, FB again likely to be a good source - and might ask if anyone else already has a school of tiger barbs he can join, but I don't know if it would be easy for him to join a school that's already established in a tank, and he's the only newbie. Might be targeted for bullying by the whole established group.

While if he goes to a store then to a new home with a school of youngsters who are all entering a new tank with him, who haven't established a pecking order yet - like if he joins a young group from a store - I think the adjustment might be easier, since any aggression from him will be spread over a whole group so he can't dominate them all at once, while if he joins an established mature school, they might gang up on him. @Byron is good with this stuff, so if he has advice, I'd trust him!

I'm not in the US, so can't recommend specific websites/places in the US, hopefully a US member like @Slaphppy7 or @Fishmanic can. :)

Check for FB fishkeeping groups too - but facebook has cracked down hard on any selling of live animals, so it can be tricky. Last I looked at groups in my area a couple of months ago, people could still advertise a fish for free for rehoming, but had to be very careful because of FB becoming so strict about livestock trading.

In your shoes, I would join fishkeeping groups in your area, FB again likely to be a good source - and might ask if anyone else already has a school of tiger barbs he can join, but I don't know if it would be easy for him to join a school that's already established in a tank, and he's the only newbie. Might be targeted for bullying by the whole established group.

While if he goes to a store then to a new home with a school of youngsters who are all entering a new tank with him, who haven't established a pecking order yet - like if he joins a young group from a store - I think the adjustment might be easier, since any aggression from him will be spread over a whole group so he can't dominate them all at once, while if he joins an established mature school, they might gang up on him. @Byron is good with this stuff, so if he has advice, I'd trust him!
This sounds good, I found a petco in my area that will take him. I believe you are right, he will be better off in a new school.

Most reactions

Back