How do i persuade my parents to let me get a 75gallon tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Big Boy Fish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So i have 1oscar a baby pleco and a tiny bichir in a breeding tank (you dont have to say its over crowded i know). I know if i can save up enough money ,estimates around 2024 so roughly in a year i can buy it but thats where my problem comes in. Now my dad would be yes yes yes but my mum is where persuading needs to happen. This 75 gallon tank will be in my bedroom on the 2nd floor, don't worry the floor is good and google says any floor can hold 125gallons max. So if you have any tips and tricks on persuading my mum that would be helpful.
Thank you amazing fish addicted people!!!

Good luck.... Don't die. Prepare for war soldier *salutes*.

My mom and dad don't like any tank over their floors lol

We get asked this question a lot here, and there is only one answer I know of. It's a cruel one, but if you are old enough, parents like to see a work ethic. If you can pick up an evening fast food job, cut grass, rake leaves or something of the like, adults tend to think you're serious. If you're asking them to pay for it, even through an allowance, they have a way of becoming skeptical. Many Moms no longer believe kids'll take care of things, because it's only as kids get a bit older and more mature that they tend not to dump projects they lose interest in on their mothers.

If you've bought an oscar and a bichir without having a proper tank to put them in, then I'm afraid it doesn't look good on the responsibility front. You won't still have those fish by 2023, if they are now in a breeding tank. Since we aren't supposed to say it's overcrowded, you already know that.

I'd ask your parents how to convince them. Start by asking what specific concerns they have. Then see if you can brainstorm win-win resolutions. Like, worried about drips on the carpet? Maybe you can get a roll of plastic floor cover at Home Depot. Worried about it breaking and destroying the floor? See if there's a rider you can add to homeowners insurance. Worried you'll lose interest and Mom will end up doing water changes? What chores can you take over to prove you're reliable? Tell them you'd like to get a big tank by such and such a date, and ask your parents how to earn their trust and permission before then. (Then do the things they ask! Even if they only say "maybe, but probably not," do your part as if they said yes. That's your only shot to change their mind)

Those fish aren’t compatible, by the way. Oscar will bully the bichir.

I'd ask your parents how to convince them. Start by asking what specific concerns they have. Then see if you can brainstorm win-win resolutions. Like, worried about drips on the carpet? Maybe you can get a roll of plastic floor cover at Home Depot. Worried about it breaking and destroying the floor? See if there's a rider you can add to homeowners insurance. Worried you'll lose interest and Mom will end up doing water changes? What chores can you take over to prove you're reliable? Tell them you'd like to get a big tank by such and such a date, and ask your parents how to earn their trust and permission before then. (Then do the things they ask! Even if they only say "maybe, but probably not," do your part as if they said yes. That's your only shot to change their mind)
Ageee with this. Try the reasonable approach.

tell them that you'll try to save money by buying a used tank on craigslist or Facebook Marketplace

Most reactions

trending

Back