How do I lower my nitrites

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
Get yourself a liquid test kit, they're much more accurate than the strips

How does this sound if I find nitrites? This is the planā€¦
It nitrites found..Do a water change %70 immediately, wait a hour then do a water test, if there is nitrites do another water change, THEN, do another water test after the second water change and if there is nitrites then repeat the process the next day untill no more nitrites. If there isnā€™t any after the first or second water test though, then wait a week and test the water, if there isnā€™t after a week go back to normal water change schedule. If there is then go back to step one.
Sorry if I explained it bad.

Am I correct in thinking that you have no fish in the tank, because they've all died?
Am I also correct that you are now deciding to do a fishless, plantless cycle?

Am I correct in thinking that you have no fish in the tank, because they've all died?
We do need to know if there are any fish left alive.

If there are still fish in the tank you need to do water changes but if all the fish have died you don't need to do the water chnages and you can do a fishless cycle instead. Or if you want to have a lot of live plants, you could plant the tank and do a plant cycle before getting more fish.

Am I also correct that you are now deciding to do a fishless, plantless cycle?
I do have fish, 1 guppy and 1 baby betta and a otocinclus. They look healthy right now. Iā€™m trying to make sure the nitrites and ammonia are down cause I think I have a fish in cycle. I think itā€™s almost finished though. Like I said Iā€™ve had the tank for like 8-9 weeks but the tank wasnā€™t fishless cycle. It had fish during the cycle first was a betta from PetSmart I got but died cause of nitrites or ammonia cause I didnā€™t cycle the tank. The betta was also super unhealthy when I got it. Second was a gourami that died a month later for most likley the same reason. Then I got the 14 guppies which bassicaly all died for different reasons. Itā€™s a mess. Itā€™s slowly cooling down though as I learn more.

Last edited:
Yes there is
We do need to know if there are any fish left alive.

If there are still fish in the tank you need to do water changes but if all the fish have died you don't need to do the water chnages and you can do a fishless cycle instead. Or if you want to have a lot of live plants, you could plant the tank and do a plant cycle before getting more fish.
Yes there is still fish in my tank which was is why I made that plan to hopefully keep nitrites and ammonia down

And I got my betta not from PetSmart cause Iā€™ve lost all respect for them. 1 they litteraly never restock there fish. 2 there fish are always unhealthy when I buy them they will have fin rot or bites in there fins. One of my bettas I got from there had bad ick and killed my whole tank. And the betta that has ick was before I did the huge water change where I cleaned my tank and got new gravel and everything. Anyways, I got the betta from petco. Yes I know, some people might say itā€™s bad. But compared to my PetSmart, which had super unhealthy fish, petco had 10x better bettas, honestly i was so shocked when I saw there bettas. You can look at photos online aswell itā€™s called petco of Visalia. They even had a king betta! But yeah thatā€™s where I got the betta. I watched a couple videos before buying one though, the videos were about how to find the healthiest bettas, and it worked, cause the betta I got was healthy.

Attachments

• 05C3BA49-6CFA-461A-B0B6-EECA8C515B7F.jpeg
    05C3BA49-6CFA-461A-B0B6-EECA8C515B7F.jpeg
    236.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 94408961-9326-4344-ACFD-83EA5932E9B4.jpeg
    94408961-9326-4344-ACFD-83EA5932E9B4.jpeg
    227.2 KB · Views: 21
And I got my betta not from PetSmart cause Iā€™ve lost all respect for them. 1 they litteraly never restock there fish. 2 there fish are always unhealthy when I buy them they will have fin rot or bites in there fins. One of my bettas I got from there had bad ick and killed my whole tank. And the betta that has ick was before I did the huge water change where I cleaned my tank and got new gravel and everything. Anyways, I got the betta from petco. Yes I know, some people might say itā€™s bad. But compared to my PetSmart, which had super unhealthy fish, petco had 10x better bettas, honestly i was so shocked when I saw there bettas. You can look at photos online aswell itā€™s called petco of Visalia. They even had a king betta! But yeah thatā€™s where I got the betta. I watched a couple videos before buying one though, the videos were about how to find the healthiest bettas, and it worked, cause the betta I got was healthy.
Why do you buy unhealthy fish?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back