Fishaholic
Reaction score
guppies looking very ill
so i think if i do not kill it
than all guppies will die
so how do i kill a guppy

do i put it in a cup & freeze it

you could still save the guppy sam,

if its ich (white spot) then your tank will already be infected and all the fish will become ill any way

so why not treat the tank?

yea ok
i will not kill the guppy
its just she looks so stressed & spots everywhere

get the fish in the net and boil the kettle.
i think you know what to do after this.
the boiling water kills them instantly and it is not at all painful fo them.
that is the best way.
black molly3

It might be wise to try and diagnose the illness first, then see if there are any methods of treatment. Euthanasia should be a last resort. If needed, the most humane methods, which are clove oil or ethanol (vodka) immersion should be considered.

that is the best way.
black molly3

I have a poorly molly at the moment that I may have to put down ( dropsy ) but I don't think I could ever use this method.

James1971

that is the best way.
black molly3

That's one of the cruelest ways possible of killing anything.

People have said that it kills them instantly and painlessly but I can't imagine being dropped into boiling water to be a painless death. Imagine if it were you !

James1971

Your suppose to sedate them in tank water with clove oil and then take them out of the clove oil and put them in 3 parts vodka one part tank water. to finally kill them off.

If all goes wrong:

(I posted this in another thread, but I think it might help in this one too)

These are from Tropical Fishlopaedia: A Complete Guide to Fish Care By: Mary Bailey and Peter Burgess (PhD) Copyright: 2000:

1. ACCEPTABLE METHODS OF EUTHANASIA

-Anasesthetic overdose. This may require a visit to the vet in countries where the necessary chemicals are available only on prescription. Phone the vet first-he may be willing to supply the chemical for home use (minimises stress for the fish by avoiding a journey to the vet), but may insist on performing the task himself. In this case, the aquarist must decide whether to take the fish to the vet or arrange a home visit. This method of euthanasia is suitable for any size of fish, and is particularly suitable where numbers are involved, e.g. where a brood is to be culled (see also below). For suitable anaesthetics and dosages, see Chapter 27.

-Concussion, with destruction of the brain. The fish should be netted and wrapped in a cloth (for grip) with its head exposed. The head is then hit forcefully against a hard object (doorstep, edge of table, large rock). Alternatively, a hard object (rock, hammer) can be brought down on the head of the fish. Fishing (angling) shops stock a type of club, known as a 'priest', used for despatching salmon, trout, etc, which is ideal for killing larger fish. Unless the head has been completely cu\rushed during the operation, then the brain should subsequently be pierced, via the top of the head, with a sharp instrument (e.g. a knife or scissors), to ensure the fish is dead and not just stunned.

-Decapitation, with destruction of the brain. If the fish is small and elongate, its head can be severed using a sharp knife or scissors. This method of euthanasia is unsuitable for larger or deep-bodied fish as the operation may take some time and cause acute suffering. The fish should b held in a cloth, as for concussion, and, because the brain may remain conscious for a while after decapitation, the brain should be pierced and destroyed, as for concussion, above.

-Predation. It is sometimes necessary to dispose of genetically deformed or stunted fry, or surplus number, by culling. (It is normally impracticable for the amateur to rear and find homes for the hundreds of thousands of fry produced by some fish.) it is generally regarded as humane to feed such fry to a piscivore (this is the normal and natural fate of most fry in the wild) with the following provisos:
- The fry muste be healthey (apart from any genetic problems).
- The size of the predator(s) must be such that each fish is eaten quickly.
- The numbers of fry fed at any one time should be such that they are all eaten quickly, and none left to share the predator's tank, in terror, until it is hungry again.
Note: in some countries it may be illegal to feed any live fish to another fish or other animals.

2. UNACCEPTABLE METHODS OF EUTHANASIA

The following methods of euthanasia cause suffering, and are totally unacceptable:

-Flushing a live fish down the lavatory or sink waste disposal unit (see also Disposal of dead fish, Chapter 26)

-Breaking the neck without subsequent destruction of the brain; the fish may remain alive for some time, and still be conscious when its 'corpse' is disposed of.

-Suffocation, by removal of water.

-Dropping a live fish into boiling or iced water.

-Slow chilling (with or without water). (This method is often suggested in aquarium literature, on the basis that the metabolism slows and the fish slips away.) However, it is now thought that the physiological processes involved are painful and the suffering considerable.)

Diseased fish, alive or dead, should never be fed to other fish, as this may transmit infection. Corpses should be disposed of safely and responsibly as discussed in Chapter 26.

This is an exact recreation of what the book says, so some of the stuff like saying to refer to Chapter 26, should be ignored.

I read a method, were you take the fish's body, rap it up in a towel or something, and take it, and whack it up really hard against the side of a table. I couldn't do that though. Use the clove olive method.

You dont "rap" stuff into a towel, you "wrap" stuff into a towel OA :p You cant use your "mad dogz rhyming skillz" to wrap stuff up.

There has been a lot of discussion about whether or not clove oil is humane or not. Many say it is not. If i ever have to euthanize a fish, i will use the destruction of the brain with the scissors method

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back