How do I get rid of my algae problem?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Josh Q

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 25G community tank with some snails and I put some rocks from a nearby river. I boiled and rinsed and scrubed and rinsed a few times before putting in the tank. Now I have a slight algae problem. It's not too bad but was wondering if there's any way to get rid of some of the algae without killing the snails?
-Josh

Do you have any plants in the tank?If not cut the length of time the tank lights are on (choose a time that suits your veiwing times) down to a few hours,also make sure the tank is out of direct sunlight.You can remove algea from the sides of the tank with a purpose made algea scraper available from pet stores. :)

Well as far as lighting is concerned I can definetely cut down on light time. I only have a regular desk lamp lighting it but it can go pretty bright.

Don't pleco's get pretty big though? I have the tank pretty full, I can add about 5 inches of fish and that would be the max the tank could handle and not stress anyone out.
-Josh

What kind of algea is it?If its the green variety that grows on the glass then you could get 4 or 5 ottos to clean it up but if its the black hairy variety then the only fish that eat it are siamese algea eaters which would get too big (5-6 inch each).

No it's just the green kind. What are otto's? How big do they get?
-Josh

Otocinclus species are small algea eating catfish,they range in size from 1 to 3 inch depending on what species you get,they are a good addition to any tank that dosen't contain fish that will eat them.

Thanks a lot. I read a little about them and they sounds like the fish for the job. :D I'll pick some up.
-Josh

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back