How do I feed shy fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

zain611

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys last Sunday I bought 6 glass cats for my tank. Since then they've been hiding (which I know is normal). Only thing is how do I feed them as my cardinals get the food before it reaches the bottom. I did get one glass cat eagerly swim to the top and took food a few days back. Just worried that I hope they aren't starving. Is there any way of delivering the food to them without the cardinals getting to it first?

Hey guys last Sunday I bought 6 glass cats for my tank. Since then they've been hiding (which I know is normal). Only thing is how do I feed them as my cardinals get the food before it reaches the bottom. I did get one glass cat eagerly swim to the top and took food a few days back. Just worried that I hope they aren't starving. Is there any way of delivering the food to them without the cardinals getting to it first?
You could use a turkey baster soak up the food in it and then shoot it down to the area where the fish are, if they really are hungry they come and eat it, and they won’t starve, fish can go along time without food.

What you are observing is the main reason this glass catfish is not a good community fish. You have a group of six, which is essential or it might of its own accord refuse to eat. It also cannot have boisterous tankmates for the same reason; cardinals are not generally considered boisterous, but if they are avid eaters this would qualify.. A thickly-planted aquarium providing some swimming space with a gentle current is essential to calm this very timid fish. Floating plants will significantly assist in keeping this fish less stressed.

It preys on insect larvae and small crustaceans mid-water, not on the substrate like most catfish. Live and frozen artemia (brine shrimp), bloodworms, daphnia; it will usually take prepared foods provided they drift in the gentle current. But active tankmates will obviously discourage this.

Try some frozen daphnia (thawed in a dish of warm water before feeding), using a pipette similar to what post #2 was mentioning. Frozen brine shrimp would do similar though being larger this is more likely to attract the cardinals and frighten the glass catfish. A cloud of daphnia encourages most timid fish; I use this for my pencilfish.

Not long ago I had lunch at M&S and grabbed two medium sized straws from there. I taped them together and using it as a way to let food travel down it to the catfish. It does work but it's a bit tedious waiting for the food to not come out from the top and wait for it to get all the way down. Is it good also that the catfish are hiding in separate places? They haven't really came out from what I've seen.

I just pinch some flakes and hold it under the water a bit and let go..the flakes quickly drop to the bottom for the cories to munch on.

I just pinch some flakes and hold it under the water a bit and let go..the flakes quickly drop to the bottom for the cories to munch on.

My cories will not touch flakes that sink. Which may be just as well, since they need better nutrition and the sinking foods provide this. I assume you do feed these and not rely on the flake?

I do occasionally feed sinking shrimp pellets.

The problem is my cardinals get at it before they can reach the glass catfish.

I'm just wondering if they hide more whilst the light is on. Don't like that they hide separately than together in one place. There's one hiding at the back of the filter and once he came to the front and did not have any of the food I was giving him. One had flakes but most or all like the micro algae wafers. This one was just staying in place not getting any of it. Honestly thinking if I should give them back ????

The problem is my cardinals get at it before they can reach the glass catfish.

I'm just wondering if they hide more whilst the light is on. Don't like that they hide separately than together in one place. There's one hiding at the back of the filter and once he came to the front and did not have any of the food I was giving him. One had flakes but most or all like the micro algae wafers. This one was just staying in place not getting any of it. Honestly thinking if I should give them back ????

I explained in post #3 how difficult this fish is to feed, and it likes a very quiet tank. Active fish will frighten it into not eating. You can read more here:

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/kryptopterus-vitreolus/

To update since then they are all good. Counted all 6 :). I just use the two straws attached and put pellets down there. Luckily they do get at it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back