April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Dopatri

Reaction score
I came back from work to discover that my pregnant guppyā€™s belly was no longer looking pregnant. I was confused because I couldnā€™t see any fry and I checked her before I left for work and she was still pregnant. I thought maybe she had miscarried or something, because I honestly thought she had another week or so left in her pregnancy. I never noticed her looking very ā€˜boxyā€™. Then suddenly, I saw one fry!! I was so delighted. Iā€™ve put him/her in a breeder box now, away from the fish. Now the question is, what is the survival rate of guppy fry? Iā€™d be so gutted if I lost it, I feel like this guppy is so special as it was the only one I found, and Iā€™ve had a really thorough look for any more but there definitely arenā€™t any others. I really want to take good care of this little one. Does anyone have any tips for caring for guppy fry?

Attachments

• 3D51A843-DFF9-4C86-8ECC-35D08563F1A5.jpeg
    3D51A843-DFF9-4C86-8ECC-35D08563F1A5.jpeg
    97.4 KB · Views: 86
wow, those are some big fry. The survival rate is higher, but not all survive. first few weeks/days use powdered high protein fish food, then you can either stay there or just go to maybe smaller brine shrimp, soon they will grow up into medium sized colorless guys. at this stage ya dont have to powder the food, just smash it enough so that it doesn't choke the fish

seperation might be good....
get a partition in the tank, like a breeding chamber and put it in there since if the other fry might be eaten, make sure this one does not :O

This is how i care for my guppy fry,

If i notice any fry i collect them & put them in a breeding box & feed after 24 hours. Powdered flake & Spirulina powder for the first couple of days then move onto different foods, BBS & other live/frozen foods.
Water change 25% every 2 days & feed little & often(upto 6 times a day)

When they are a week old i put them in the grow out 10 Gallon tank, Until they are about 1 month old or i am able to sex them.
Off load them at around 8 weeks old otherwise my growout would be over stocked badly

wow, those are some big fry. The survival rate is higher, but not all survive. first few weeks/days use powdered high protein fish food, then you can either stay there or just go to maybe smaller brine shrimp, soon they will grow up into medium sized colorless guys. at this stage ya dont have to powder the food, just smash it enough so that it doesn't choke the fish
Thanks for your advice! My baby fry is still going strong, Iā€™m feeding it crushed up flakes and it seems to be doing the trick. I also have the fry in its own little breeder box to protect it from the other fish. Canā€™t wait to see it all grown up!

Thanks for your advice! My baby fry is still going strong, Iā€™m feeding it crushed up flakes and it seems to be doing the trick. I also have the fry in its own little breeder box to protect it from the other fish. Canā€™t wait to see it all grown up!
I have a tip, get a piece of kitchen towel and soak the oils off every few days, and remove anything dirty in the breeder. you can add a whole flake in there and watch them rip it apart, very fun to watch

This is how i care for my guppy fry,

If i notice any fry i collect them & put them in a breeding box & feed after 24 hours. Powdered flake & Spirulina powder for the first couple of days then move onto different foods, BBS & other live/frozen foods.
Water change 25% every 2 days & feed little & often(upto 6 times a day)

When they are a week old i put them in the grow out 10 Gallon tank, Until they are about 1 month old or i am able to sex them.
Off load them at around 8 weeks old otherwise my growout would be over stocked badly
Thanks so much for the advice, this is very helpful to me as itā€™s my first time dealing with fry. I think I will buy a separate tank especially for fry so when I have more in the future they have a good amount of space.

Most reactions

Back