bae1994

Fact. Bears eat beets. Bears.Beets.Battlestar
Reaction score
i have a 2ft 20 us gallon can i breed bettas in it if so

how do i do it

i will use a devider

but what should i devide it into eg 8 inches for male and the rest for females

howmany females should i have

do i just wait untill the male makes a bubble nest then add the female im clue less

also how many fry will they have on average

and how long till there big enough to sell

and can i when they need seperating let all the female fry be together in a 3 ft tank
and put the males in margerine tubs floating in the tanks with tiny holes in the tubs so its not stale water

and mesh lids on the tubs so no jumping out

i have a 2ft 20 us gallon can i breed bettas in it if so

how do i do it
Try and lurn as u go, that the best way
I breed all mine in a 2ft tank with 6inches of water

i will use a devider
but what should i devide it into eg 8 inches for male and the rest for females
Yes keep the male and female seperate but in the same tank.
Give the male most of the tank and a small section for the female to stay safe im

howmany females should i have

Only keep one with the male for breeding.
Course u can have another tank for other females to breed from.

do i just wait untill the male makes a bubble nest then add the female im clue less
Keep the female separate but in the tank this will induce her to egg up and him to build a nest, add the female when both are ready and over 1-5 days she'll hopefully interact with the male, and he should stay with the nest displaying with any luck.
If he get's nasty remove her.

also how many fry will they have on average
First couple you be very lucky to rear any, but it's a large lurning curve.
You need micro worm's and brine shrimp as first foods (brine shrimp from about day 5 of free swimming)
At a couple of weeks old the fry start to breath air, any temperature difference from water to air will easily kill the fry

My first batch i reared was only 5-8 fish but soon was getting 30-50 from a batch
However i have seen batches of 200-300!!!!!

and how long till there big enough to sell

12-20 weeks depending on the genetics's and husbandry

and can i when they need seperating let all the female fry be together in a 3 ft tank
and put the males in margerine tubs floating in the tanks with tiny holes in the tubs so its not stale water

Yes i guess so if their enough space

and mesh lids on the tubs so no jumping out

Of course :)

um ok thanks i may leave that idea then

the male and female also need conditioning for 2 weeks before you even think of breeding them

you dont need to have live food for the fry - i never feed my fry live food - just high protein dry food

the live food thing put me off but now i dunno

so pippoodle could you run through those questions for me and tell me what you think

also conditioning ?

like putting the female in a clear breeder trap so they can see each other for two weeks before sorry tad confused also is it very hard

the live food thing put me off but now i dunno

so pippoodle could you run through those questions for me and tell me what you think

also conditioning ?

like putting the female in a clear breeder trap so they can see each other for two weeks before sorry tad confused also is it very hard

BEFORE you think about breeding i would make sure you have somewhere - a lfs - that will take any left over fry - that you cant sell

THERE IS NO MONEY in home breeding of bettas - i do it cos i love it :) - the money just goes straight back into food , equiptment etc

what you need to get before you start spawning
a spawning tank = about 30 litres will do - filled to about 5" in depth , heated to 30 degrees -( 28-30 ish ok ) , you can use a bare bottomed or sand bottomed - i;ve ryed both and worked fine , i use silk and live plants for the femal to hide and a coconut cave aswell so she can go to that if getting pestered by the male - i also add IA leaves to the spawning tank
grow out tank - i use 60 litres as a min
heater
thermometer
lots of 2 litre+ tubs to seperate males from 8 weeks old
bubble wrap or half polystyrene cup - for male to nest undder
sponge filter or stingray 5 - work well with spawning
a chimney to put the female in so she can see the male but he cant get to her - i use a breeding trap lots of people use - 2 litre coke bottles with top and bottom cut off

either live food or dry food -i feed mine these dry foods - NO live food - 4x a day -
Dry food consists of a mix of these 1 choice per feed - ZM 000 and 00 moving on to 0 lol , hikari first bites , red crumb , super high pro + fry , DUSTED - spirulina , algae , seaweed , bloodworm , brineshrimp and daphnia - all available from ebay quite cheap

CONDITIONING

i add the male to the spawning tank - 2 weeks before i spawn them (put the bubble wrap square or poly cup in )- so he can get used to the tank and feel secure and safe enough to breed - male and female should be fed 3x a day for the 2 weeks prior to spawning

Putting the girly in
Turn the filter off
After the 2 weeks have passed you can then add the girls in the chimney (breeding trap or bottle) . I leave her in there for 48 hours .
If he hasnt already built a bubble nest he should do now
the boy will start flaring and showing off at the chimney - girly should be quite eggy after the 48 hours - if she's dark in colour you'll be able to see her breeding stripes . i let my girls go when they are swimming nose down when the male goes near the chimney

release the girly - he might chase her and be quite aggressive - dont worry its normal - some of my males never chase the females
If he's getting overly aggressive - put her back in the chimney and release her again the next day

Then they start to wrap and breed
they wrap and the girl releases the eggs into the nest - they can have over 100 + fry
here's 2 of mine wrapping
PIC_0195.jpg

PIC_0196.jpg

PIC_0197.jpg

PIC_0198.jpg

PIC_0199.jpg

PIC_0200.jpg

When wrapping is finished remove the female to a quiet tank (can take upto 6 hours of wrapping)

you leave the male in the tank and he will tend to the nest - picking up the eggs and placing any that fall out back in the nest - at temp opf 30 degrees usually hatch within 28 hours
the male continues to pick up the fry and place back in the nest - its a hard job for them - you must leave the tank lights on for 24 hours a day until the male is removed

you leave the male in the tank after spawning and do not feed hiim - when the fry are swimming ------ you can then remove him to a quiet tank and begin feeding him
he might sulk a few of my males do - i think thats it

you can now turn on the sponge filter

nest and eggs
1002.jpg

1004.jpg

1005.jpg

1006.jpg

1009.jpg

hatched
PIC_0327.jpg

www.youtube.com/v/qHM8aUuLz0U&hl

FROM 4 weeks old i move my fry out of spawning tank into the growout tank
then from 8 weeks they might need to start being seperated if there is real aggression from any young males

If you're using tubs - you need to make sure they have daily 50% water changes and are kept at at least 25 degrees

FROM 12+ weeks you can sell them depending how big they are - mine are already over 1 1/2 inches at 8 weeks old so should be ready for sale at 12 weeks old

with the tubs should i use like 8 inch long by 6 inches wide and tall which are breeding nets made of mes so they have fresh water always so

the tanks i need

my 2 ft to house them both (got)
then a 30 litre spawning tank (got)'

then a 60 litre grow out (got a 3 foot i caN half fill

then a

goot go finish type later

ok got the tank

would i be able to have a 1 male then two females in the tank so the male has a foot then the females have 6 inches each so male has 10 gallons and each female has 5 galons so devided into 3

also thanks for all that pippoodle

ok soo got 100 pounds to spend on this from selling stuff and left over money from birthday money

oviosly i want to spend not to much so i was

looking at maybe 8-10 pound for the females ill buy (1 or 2 dunno)

then probably like 10-15 on the male and and then i think its 9 pounds postage

then ive already got the 2 ft tank home tank

and the 30 litre spawning tank

and a 3 ft grow out tank and the filters and the heaters for all 3

so thats 39 pounds and then i need a few things like breeder net traps for the male betta fry

yeah i thought that was wierd

Cling film!!!!!!!

Just cover the top and this will keep the air still and moist. This will stop cold drafts which is the problem.
This is what i do every time.
unless you have a fish room where u space heat then their is no problems

Cling film would melt under the light over the tank...

I think I'll just cut up a few bits of condensation tray and place them around the bulb, my room hardly gets that cold anyway, warmest room in the house.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back