How do guppy fry colors come in?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

biofish

Fish Addict
Pet of the Month šŸŽ–ļø
Reaction score
Hello! Iā€™ve got 75ā€¦? Or so fry rn. 6 of them are at around the 4 month mark. A Lot are at 3 or so and in the main tank Iā€™ve got a bunch that are around 2 months. The rest are still in their growing tanks.

Anyway! With my eldest ones, I noticed the menā€™s color came in straight away. Iā€™ve got lovely orange pink and purple boys as well as endler boys with white forked tails.

With my ladies, most of their tails are turning yellow with black spots with hints of orange. Iā€™m curious, because most of my adult ladies who had these fry had very blue tails. Given, some of them were pregnant before I bought them, so Iā€™m not sure of their genetics. But if the ones that I have tried specifically to breed for bluer colors, their tails are still turning a yellowish hue.

I know it can take 6 months before their colors fully come in and that ladies are typically slower and less flashyā€¦. But is yellow like the primary base color before other colors start coming in? Or do I just have a bunch of yellow lovely ladies?

yeah starts with black and transparent yellow, then BOOM, many colors
sorry meant yellow not orange

Okay! I canā€™t wait!!! Especially this lovely lady! Canā€™t wait to see her colors ā¤ļø
BA5D7489-9068-45BA-B380-E9D255870D49.jpeg

I keep my tanks around 78Ā°! And she was actually born with that coloring! Straight from the womb, she and her 4 or so siblings have black booties. Their mama actually has a blue and green tail. No clue who the father is.

C7138468-B9C0-47AC-80AA-4A0CB698E2C6.jpeg

Hereā€™s a younger one from the same mom

Most reactions

Back