How Do Flowers Polenate In The Winter

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

chishnfips

WHAT! You went over my Helmet!
Reaction score
Hi folks,

You'll have to excuse my ignorance here, my knowledge of gardening is pretty thin on the ground (no pun intended) lol. Basically I know you dig a hole stick something in it and then that something grows lol.

Anyway.... I have a fuscia in my garden and its a winter bloomer so what I wondered is this:

Most flowers flower in the summer and the bees and butterflies and other insects polenate the flowers so the come back next year etc... etc...

But in the winter there are no bees and hings to polenate the flowers, so how do the flowers do it?

hi not sure what a fuscia is sorry but anyway flowers do not just need insects to pollinate them they can use birds water and wind as well
a good way to tell is the shape of the flower and where in the world it grows in nature
scot :)

hi not sure what a fuscia is sorry but anyway flowers do not just need insects to pollinate them they can use birds water and wind as well
a good way to tell is the shape of the flower and where in the world it grows in nature

Hi mate here is the fuschia I have, not sure where they would grow in nature

Attachments

• fuschia_450x600.jpg
    fuschia_450x600.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 159
sorry i should of known you meant fuschia not sure where they come from but will find out lol
all i can tell you is that they where named by a german botanist they will not grow true from seed as a rule some are winter hardy others not
if you want more of the plant take cuttings from non flowering shoots to make sure if the parent dies back in the frost you have others to replace it with in the spring

Aye,bee's aren't the only insects that pollinate,and there are still insects around in the winter,just far fewer and most only show on warmer days.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back