How did you start fishkeeping and what keeps you going

For me it was because of a family member, or at least the husband of that family member.

He had a salt water tank when I was a child that I remember being taller than it was long, but very little else about it. I remember that he kept seahorses in there and they really caught my attention. That tank ended up getting smashed by one of his daughters, and I dont't hink he ever replaced it.

That lead to me getting a freshwater tank when I was 12, then many more. That also lead to me owning a 4x2x2 salt water tank for about 8 years after returning from university.

As for why I still keep fish, it's still interesting to me. I enjoy watching the behaviour of the many different species I keep, I enjoy finding and keeping unusual fish as well. And frankly that is more interesting to me than most of the crap on the TV these days.

I also have a bit of a thing for a planted tank, so in that respect the hobby has changed for me since I started. I've always had plants but my understanding and appreciation of them and their importance has increased significantly. I've got more plant species than fish species at the moment, some very common, some exceedingly rare. They all add to the enjoyment of the hobby, and I enjoy being able to occasionally trade them for fish I'm struggling to acquire.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back