How Careful Do I Have To Be With Ich?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

kelp

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm currently treating an outbreak of ich in my aquarium (thanks a lot crappy fish store I went to) that's spread from my new fish to my rams. I have upped the temp, replaced 25% of the water, removed carbon filter, and applied meds to cure Ich. How intense do I have to be with sterilization? I had to remove a dead fish right before the ich outbreak with a net. Should I put that in boiling water? What about the gravel cleaner? Do I have to sterilize that in boiling water as well. Can I use the same filter cartridge I removed that had the carbon (it was brand new! I only had it in for 3 days before the ich outbreak). I know, why put $50+ worth of fish in further jeopardy if ich comes back for a $3 filter cartridge. After all of the white spots go away, up to how many days should I continue to apply medication? I don't want a sudden renewal of the ich population.

Every tanks different when it comes down to treating whitespot, I've only had in once in my tanks, it took two rounds of meds to get rid of it.
Yes you need to steralise your equipment when you have used it on the tank, as it will spread from tank to tank if not.
Also always wash your hands when they have been in tank water.

sterilize your whole tank and up the temp by 2 or 3 degrees if u r fish are compatible.

If you up your temp to 32/33 deg Celcius for 3 days & gradually bring back to normal 26/27 deg, no need for any additional medication or sterilizing of anything..... been treating all my ich cases this way since 1970 and always successful....... see my reply also to "raising temp to cure ich" posted yesterday sometime

If you up your temp to 32/33 deg Celcius for 3 days & gradually bring back to normal 26/27 deg, no need for any additional medication or sterilizing of anything..... been treating all my ich cases this way since 1970 and always successful....... see my reply also to "raising temp to cure ich" posted yesterday sometime
Considering that that is 90F I would NOT advise this.

TylerFerretLord.... Since you're so much into languages, here is an Afrikaans project for you....."glo my dit is waar." Let me know if you can sort that one out...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back