How can I store plants without a tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

joelfernandes

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all.

I decided to redo a couple of tanks, take care of an algae situation and on top of it treating a camallanus issue. As a result, I now have all my plants in a bucket.

My question is, will it be ok to keep the plants in a bucket for a week? Iā€™m going to be out for a whole week and donā€™t have time to replant these today.

The plants in question are a anubias, jungle val, java fern, ambulia, java moss, duck weed and whatever this is.

Do I need to put a heater in the tank (my house temperature is around 20C)? How about nutrients, light and aeration?

Thank you

Last edited:
It will be in a room with a small window in it. No direct sun light on that window though, it could be quite dark. I can put the tank light on top of the bucket if itā€™s better.

It will be in a room with a small window in it. No direct sun light on that window though, it could be quite dark. I can put the tank light on top of the bucket if itā€™s better.
This would be OK, as long as the tank light doesn't get too hot

Hi all.

I decided to redo a couple of tanks, take care of an algae situation and on top of it treating a camallanus issue. As a result, I now have all my plants in a bucket.

My question is, will it be ok to keep the plants in a bucket for a week? Iā€™m going to be out for a whole week and donā€™t have time to replant these today.

The plants in question are a anubias, jungle val, java fern, ambulia, java moss, duck weed and whatever this is.

Do I need to put a heater in the tank (my house temperature is around 20C)? How about nutrients, light and aeration?

Thank you
Hi joel. The bucket is fine. I'd get a clip-on light if the plants are going to be in the bucket for very long. No heater, but I'd add a small air stone attached to an air pump. You can also drop a little fish food in the bucket for fertilizer. Since there are no fish in the bucket, it won't hurt to have some nitrogen in the water. Your plants just need, nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus.

10 Tanks

Thank you all. Iā€™ll put an airstone in the bucket and a light on a timer. Iā€™ll put some fish food in it as well. The room temperature is around 20C, Iā€™m assuming that will be ok for a week.

Thank you all. Iā€™ll put an airstone in the bucket and a light on a timer. Iā€™ll put some fish food in it as well. The room temperature is around 20C, Iā€™m assuming that will be ok for a week.
Hello again. Around 20C is fine. I've kept aquarium plants outside in 10C water for weeks with no problems. As long as they get good lighting and NPK, they'll be fine.

10 Tanks

Having been there with putting plants in a bucket and expecting them to stay alive, I will strongly persuade you to not keep them in a bucket for a week. Go with a clear plastic tote and I would put either an air stone in there or if you have a temporary filter that you can stick in there for some water circulation and if you are leaving it near a light that's okay or you can actually put a light on top of it that would work out better for the plants. I cannot tell you how many times I put plants in a bucket and forgot about them and they have disintegrated, so I would strongly persuade you to actually get a storage tote and put your plants in there instead if you want to keep your plants.

Having been there with putting plants in a bucket and expecting them to stay alive, I will strongly persuade you to not keep them in a bucket for a week. Go with a clear plastic tote and I would put either an air stone in there or if you have a temporary filter that you can stick in there for some water circulation and if you are leaving it near a light that's okay or you can actually put a light on top of it that would work out better for the plants. I cannot tell you how many times I put plants in a bucket and forgot about them and they have disintegrated, so I would strongly persuade you to actually get a storage tote and put your plants in there instead if you want to keep your plants.
Hello Boundava. You can grow out plants in a five gallon bucket. However, you have to tend to them as you would any plants. They simply need an NPK food source, decent lighting, oxygen and you will need to change the water weekly if the plants will be in the bucket for some time. If you don't change the water, it will become stagnant and kill the plants. We're believing the poster will be a very diligent keeper of the plants.

10 Tanks

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back