How Can I Slow The Flow Of An Aquaclear Filter

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Meeresstille

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Some time ago I got a 5 gallon tank second hand that came with an Aquaclear 20 Filter. It's a nice little tank, and have used it a few times as a QT. 

Two days ago I saw this little Betta girl and yesterday I went and got her, she is just so cute, I could not resist. She is now in that 5 gallon tank. I'm planning on getting her the 8 gallon BiOrb, but until then I am hoping to find a way to reduce the flow of the Aquaclear 20 Filter, the little setting knob at the top is already at the slowest setting.

She does not really seem bothered by the currant, but is being blown around a little at certain areas of the tank. Does anyone have any ideas what my options are? Or should I just go and get a smaller filter?

Thanks in advance! 
balloon.gif
 5 gallon Firefly 1.jpg 

On the the left side if the lid is a slot up through which the "spike" on the U-tube sticks. When that "spike" is on the left end of the slot, the flow is 100%. If the "spike" is moved to the right end of the slot, the flow is at about 1/3 the max rate. In between the ends the flow is between those two rates.
hagen_aquaclear_30_filter.jpg

You can place a piece of filter sponge over the outflow that will still allow flow but will slow it down considerably.  I have used this method myself numerous times

TwoTankAmin said:
On the the left side if the lid is a slot up through which the "spike" on the U-tube sticks. When that "spike" is on the left end of the slot, the flow is 100%. If the "spike" is moved to the right end of the slot, the flow is at about 1/3 the max rate. In between the ends the flow is between those two rates.
hagen_aquaclear_30_filter.jpg
Thank you for responding! :) I do have that spike set at the slowest setting, but the flow is still a bit too much for that little Betta girl! 
Wildbetta said:
You can place a piece of filter sponge over the outflow that will still allow flow but will slow it down considerably.  I have used this method myself numerous times
That sounds like it should do the trick, I will have a look through my aquarium items to see if I have a sponge floating around here somewhere! Thanks, Wildbetta! :)
To be honest, I'm feeling a little stupid for not having thought of it myself. 
blush.png

OK, so I have another question:

This morning I went and got an Aquaclear 20 Filter sponge. Before I cut it to size I tried to see how I would best position it at the output-flow of the filter. No matter how I placed it the flow of the water was backing up too much, so much in fact that the water was pushed out if the intake-compartment. That means that unfiltered water was flowing over, and back into the tank.

So for now I've cut a little slot into the top of the sponge and wedged it at the bottom of the filter's out-flow, so the water does not fall directly into the tank but onto the sponge. What worries me is that there is no splashing into the water, so does that mean that there is less oxygenation, or does this happen within that sponge as the water falls onto it? 
sad2.gif

The current is a whole lot better though, which makes it now a lot easier for this little Betta to explore her tank. :)

You don't have to worry about the water splashing and adding a ton of oxygen into the water with just a betta since they breathe mainly atmospheric air.  It sounds like you have fixed your filter to work the way you need it to.  :)

Oh yeah! I totally forgot about the Betta's labyrinth organ! lol Thanks, Wildbetta! :) 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back