How Can I A Make A Current In My Tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

RaMpEd CoLoRs

Reaction score
Okay..so ive been researching different types of coral to put in my tank...it says that i need a medium current for most of them..what does this mean? current of water pushing on the coral? how would i acheive this? Also would this affect anything else living in my tank..thanks

Hi

You need pumps positioned in your tank to create a current, google Seio... You should try to get at least 20x the volume of your tank turned over per hour

Seio isnt the only option however. The general equipment term is "powerhead" for you to google. Depending on where you live, you can buy them from online stores, your LFS, online like Ebay, etc. For marine aquariums, we dont have the internal filters like FW, with sponges etc etc covering the inlet. In our case we just use the impellor inside to turn over water and make flow. :good: I would go more than one powerhead (aim for +20x turnover as suggested by sophos9 but perhaps in the form of two smaller rated pumps), placed in such a configuration that there are no "dead spots", or areas with no flow. This allows your coral to expell waste, uptake essential nutrients, respire etc.

I would make seio one of your lower options for movement, especially in a large tank. Tunze are the best (but you have to pay for the best), but Hydor do some pretty good powerheads that are cheaper.

The Tunze, Hydor and Seio are better than most other powerheads as they send out a wide stream of water movement, rather than a needle like jet.

If you want real current, splash out on a Tunze Wavebox. This moves all the water in the aquarium from one side to the other and back to create waves. On full strength it can move the water level by 50mm at a time.

By creating the currents that the corals need you will be creating conditions closer to that experienced by life on the reef, so will not be greatly affecting other creatures. Just be wary of placing softer corals directly in the flow of jets of water.

And what was wrong with linking to my video?
Hey sorry mate, forgot that post, if I'd have known obviously I would have kept it in house.
Good water motion there, just wish my tank was big enough to get the benefit. I do wish Tunze would make a smaller version.
Regards
BigC

And what was wrong with linking to my video?
Hey sorry mate, forgot that post, if I'd have known obviously I would have kept it in house.
Good water motion there, just wish my tank was big enough to get the benefit. I do wish Tunze would make a smaller version.
Regards
BigC
I believe there is an American company that makes a similar but smaller wavebox. Someone posted a while ago about it here.

Might be worth trying that out if you want something smaller.

I believe there is an American company that makes a similar but smaller wavebox. Someone posted a while ago about it here.

Might be worth trying that out if you want something smaller.

Yeah I know about the Wave2K, flatbacks and corner units. I'm going with the Powerheads and Hydor Flos for now and see what happens. Then I'll decide weither the outlay is justified. Sure like that motion though.
Thanks andy,
Regards
BigC

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back