How can a fish just completely vanish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tttay89

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My bristlenose plec has completely vanished overnight....I saw it 2 days ago
.. Usually its always active especially with food... I have thoroughly checked the tank for an hour, every ornament corner every nook and cranny of the tank with a torch and its nowhere to be seen and not in the filter. Is it possible for others to eat it even if it is the biggest in the tank?(, only 3"). There's not even any trace of bones or corpse?... If it dies will they clean the plate completely or shouid there be some sort of evidence?

Thanks

If others ate it, there would be some sort of evidence....unless it was eaten whole.

Check the filter good, under every rock and decor you can find and the floor around the tank(I doubt it jumped out though)

It's extremely strange the filter gaps are too small for even a baby shrimp to get into... I have gravel vaccumed the whole tank and got a torch inside every ornament... I'm baffled! Also can't get out of the tank with the lid

I had one bristlenose pleco and discovered many things while having it. Including the fact that they love to dig underneath gravel and sand! I thought I lost mine at one point, and then I saw the sand moving, gently moved the sand around with my finger and discovered that my fish was hiding underneath the sand for the last couplea' days. Perhaps he is hiding under the sand or gravel? Just be careful moving stuff around! You could squish him :unsure:

Also, if I'm not mistaken, they're nocturnal or prefer to move at night. So you might just not be seeing him during the day.

My BN is around 7" and regularly disappears for days at a time. I do have a lot of wood and plants though. He can't resist shrimp pellets so in my case I can usually lure him out eventually. Make sure you have a good look around the tank on the floor.

My tanks only about 2.5ft there's only so many places he can be haha..
I'll give it a few days but I've had him for about 5 months and hasn't been a day where I havnt seen him... I was rubbing my fingers around the inside of ornaments and everything haha.. Yeah its unable to get out water level is rather low and has a lid

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back