how bad is it to not soak betta pellets?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

hurgerburger

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Everywhere i look online and on this forum it says to always soak betta pellets before you feed them. I would do this, however my betta canā€™t manage to catch sinking pellets, and so i have to scoop them back out with a net every time. I could probably teach him to catch them, but i havenā€™t gotten around to it. i also want to keep his care as simple as possible, since iā€™m giving him back to my high school this summer and i donā€™t want to overwhelm my choir teacher more than i already will (i moved him from an uncycled 2.5 gallon to a planted cycled 5 gallon). How bad is it really to feed pellets dry if i feed him a specific number of pellets so he doesnā€™t overeat?

The main problem with dry food is they contain air and can swell up a bit when they absorb water. If you only give the fish 1 or 2 pellets, it is fine and they don't need soaking. If the fish eats a lot of dry food, then the food can swell up inside the fish and cause an upset stomach.

I've had several bettas, one at a time, over the years. I only ever soaked pellets for one betta because he refused to eat hard pellets. All the others were fed unsoaked pellets - some of them refused to eat soggy pellets if they missed one and only found it later.

It's dried bloodworm that does need to be soaked before feeding.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back