How About A Rogues Gallery

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Figured I'd add a little bit on red bugs. Red bugs I believe are closely related to copepods, but don't quote me on that. The are little puny, bright orange or red bugs that will crawl over and eventually kill your smooth skinned acroporids. As far as I know, nobody knows exactly how they kill the coral, but some say they eat the mucus the coral produces to protect itself, which stresses it out and eventually causes it to bleach. Here is a pic (first coral is effected, second not, for comparison)And sorry for the color difference, I had switched bulbs between the first and second.
DSC_0012.jpg

BaxterStPk2011_208.jpg

They are quite tough to kill. I know of two ways that definitely work, the first of which is to remove all unaffected corals, and let the afflicted ones die, which will starve the bugs and kill them. I however think that this is sick and twisted, so I opted for the second method of eradication, which is a heart worm medicine for dogs called Interceptor. Basically you grind up the pill, dissolve it in tank water, put the coral in a QT tank, and pour the solution into the QT tank. Soon enough all the bugs will be dead, and you can safely put the coral back in the display tank. Obviously there are more detailed instructions, and for those or any other questions feel free to PM me.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back