Housing platy fry

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Snailguy101

Moved On
Reaction score
Well my platie just had fry and I was wondering if I cqan put them in my 1-2 gallon betta tank with undergravel filter till they get a bit bigger will it be ok?

If theres a betta in the tank they will get eaten- betta or no betta though the fry are unlikely to survive in an uncyled tank with no heater or filter- even if you have these a 1-2gal is very small and won't hold the fry for long.

Hi Snailguy,

If the tank is cycled and has no betta they will be fine. I have currently got baby platies in a 2 gallon tank with a heater and a sponge filter. I just ran the sponge filter in the main tank for a week then filled the 2 gallon with water from the main tank. I do water changes twice a week changing about 40% using dechlorinated tap water and they are doing fine. Once they get about half an inch long i move them back in with the adults.

On the other hand when i first had babies i put them in a breeder net and they started dying after about 3 weeks.

At the minute i have 13 in the tank 6 are nearly a centimeter long the rest are a few millimeters. Within the next week though i hope to bring my 15 gallon from my mums house and move them in there. Along with some baby bristlenoses if i can catch them.

Hope this helps

Emma

How many fry??? if they are many you could use like a bucket (pretty inexpensive at wallmart) cause 2 Gal seems too little for them, just put a sponge filter and a heater.
;)

I've changed the title of this thread from idea to the current title of Housing platy fry, what's best?

Having a title relevant to the content of the thread will result in more people with the required knowledge reading it and perhaps helping.

Please read this thread.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back