houseplants

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ember

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Are there any every day houseplants that could be somehow incorporated into or floating in the tank?

I have an abundance of spiderplant, elephant ear, and philodendron/pothos. All of those do well in just water.

I thought maybe the baby spiderplants would float but I suppose somehow I'd have to secure the plants to the top of the aquarium so just the roots are in water.

I once bought a spider plant that was sold as an aquatic plant. It really did not do well in the tank at all so ended up in the bin.

Lynz781 said:
I once bought a spider plant that was sold as an aquatic plant. It really did not do well in the tank at all so ended up in the bin.
really? I have 3 spider plants, the neon tetras love it in the tank, and it's the only plant I have ever managed to keep in my tank, it was doing no good oustside the tank anyways, the cat was eating it, so we put it in the tank, and it turned out great, wierd huh? :sly:

I actually would recommend a spider plant, except dont get any goldfish, they ate one of my plants in another tank.

redtailblackshark said:
I have 3 spider plants, the neon tetras love it in the tank, and it's the only plant I have ever managed to keep in my tank, it was doing no good oustside the tank anyways, the cat was eating it, so we put it in the tank, and it turned out great, wierd huh? :sly:

I actually would recommend a spider plant, except dont get any goldfish, they ate one of my plants in another tank.
Your spider plant is completely submerged? I only thought to float it.
I'll have to try a few. I have so many of those darn things everywhere.

By the way, how was the goldfish? Was the plant harmful to him?

Well, as with many terrestrial plants, they do really well for months, then suddenly die. I would think it would be ok.
*imagines a terrarium with spider plant babies growing on moist driftwood with moss* :drool:

I have a goldfish that eats entire (aquatic) plants. I wouldn't think that a spider plant would hurt it-they are pritty hardy.

Your spider plant is completely submerged? I only thought to float it.
I'll have to try a few. I have so many of those darn things everywhere.

By the way, how was the goldfish? Was the plant harmful to him?

The plant didn't seem to bother him, but he did eat it, then we have him away because we were getting tropicals, and they don't mix that well. :unsure: One plant sank to the bottom, the other ones stayed at the top, and the roots grew down from the top, i think their supposed to do that, it looked pretty cool actually, and I was amazed that it did that.

Hmm, I'll have to try putting a spider plant in one of my tanks. I need to repot one anyway... :)

Thanks for the help everyone!
I put two baby spiderettes in the tank about 24 hours ago and so far they're doing great.

I'm gonna check out that article. Thanks for the link.
I have an overabundance of plants. I'm sure I have several that will work someway or other.
In fact, I have enough probably to decorate all the tanks from everyone on this forum! :lol:

dancinns said:
Hmm, I'll have to try putting a spider plant in one of my tanks. I need to repot one anyway... :)
I'm not sure if you should be putting plants that have been in soil already. There could be something that's toxic to the fish in the soil. The baby spiders it shoots out would be better.

hey ember if you don't have a snail infestation i'd love to get some plants. Got any java fern or java moss??

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back