Houseplants ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ingrid

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
What is your must have houseplant ? Mine is Phalaenopsis ( the moth orchid)

Mine too. I currently have 7 in different colours and patterns. I love the way the flowers last so long.

Christmas cactus has always been a firm favourite because not even I can kill them, even if I forget to water for several months. Can survive in any or no substrate (or a HOB filter) and if you want more you just pull off a leaf and plant it :). They don't flower often but the leaves are attractive and they are pretty when they do.

About 10 years ago I bought an impatiens niamniamensis (parrot plant) for my late mum. It is almost as robust and doesn't need much light. The one in the bathroom never gets watered as the steam is enough. Does need trimming or it gets big and gangly but when it does just cut a tip off (2 leaves and a bit of stalk), drop it into a glass of water et voila you have a new plant. I have them all over the house and so do lots of friends and family all from the single puchase. They seem to flower continuously. Technically it is a tropical outdoor plant but works brilliantly indoors all year round.

Christmas cactus has always been a firm favourite because not even I can kill them, even if I forget to water for several months. Can survive in any or no substrate (or a HOB filter) and if you want more you just pull off a leaf and plant it :). They don't flower often but the leaves are attractive and they are pretty when they do
I also have a christmas cactus and it flowers every Christmas :santa:

I was raised in a florist and as a result, I have no plants in my house. I don’t even like the smell of flowers in the house. Reminds me of funerals and cemeteries. My grandmother, who owned the florist use to say, “God help the person who puts flowers on my grave.” Guess I got it from her. I figure my tank plants are enough greenery. Crazy, I know. Outside is another story.

I used to have a Christmas cactus (though very few Christmas cacti really are that, they are usually crab or Thanksgiving cacti) but it died. Slowly by dropping stems every so often. But I do have two Easter cacti (again, probably not actually Easter cacti just sold under that name) with orange and purple flowers and a related, pink flowered, narrower stemmed species, Hatoria rosea..
Not to mention a mother-in-laws tongue and two related dwarf species, and also about a dozen cacti on the kitchen windowsill. The mother-in-laws tongue flowers regularly and fills the room with perfume.

I lied. Actually, I forgot. I have one marginata that I keep on my porch and one variegated pathos on my patio table.

I was raised in a florist and as a result, I have no plants in my house.
Not a fan of cut flowers: "Here's a dead plant that was specially killed for you" :confused:
Quite happy with the living ones, the trick is just keeping them alive. Most of the stuff I have planted in the garden is off the rescue shelf in the garden centre and carefully chosen as stuff the I can just chuck in the ground and keeps coming back with no more effort on my part. Probably why I have recently become such a fan of anubias in my tanks. Those guys are amazing.

Tillandsias, bromeliads, and anthurriums.

Agreed with the orchids, I have many, also love cactus, African violet and prayer plants, it's great the way their leaves fold closed overnight, I love all plants really, great for purifying the air in your home!

Lucky bamboo... grows in modest light (light from window with light filtering shades) and maybe it will bring me luck. Also have a money tree but it has yet to produce any dollar bills even though I fertilize it. And in the front window, I have philodendron and cactus.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back