Houseplants in aquariums?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mich

Reaction score
Hi!

Just curious,...I realize it's a weird question,...are there any houseplants at all, that
can exist in an aquarium? I don't mean in dirt, but with roots down in the gravel.

I am asking this question, which may seem silly and obvious, because when I was younger, I had a neighbor/friend with a 50 gallon aquarium, and he had Pothos plants rooted down in the gravel, which not only survived, but thrived in his tank.
His fish didn't seem to eat or disturb it at all, and it was very attractive.

Pothos, (in the philidendrum family) are super easy to root, as some of you may already know, from starting cuttings in water for new plants. They also require very little light, and are able to survive almost any environment.

I have never seen or heard about any houseplant put into aquariums since then, and am quite curious about whether or not to try this. It worked so well in my friends tank. Is it safe? Would love as much feedback and advice as possible.

Thanks everyone, for taking the time to help me consider this.

Mich

If you ask me, if the plant is not supposed to be under water, than it shouldn't be under water. Best case is that the plant doesn't do well, or does okay in your aquarium. Worst case is that the plant poisons your water or fish and causes more trouble than it's worth. Your friend may have been lucky. I personally wouldn't put houseplants in my aquarium, and have seen them essentially destroy the other inhabitants of the tank.

\Dan

Houseplants can be kept in a tank in some conditions, but they usually don't last as long as aquatic plants.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back