Houseplants in Aquarium?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mich

Reaction score
Hi!

Just curious,...I realize it's a weird question,...are there any houseplants at all, that
can exist in an aquarium? I don't mean in dirt, but with roots down in the gravel.

I am asking this question, which may seem silly and obvious, because when I was younger, I had a neighbor/friend with a 50 gallon aquarium, and he had Pothos plants rooted down in the gravel, which not only survived, but thrived in his tank.
His fish didn't seem to eat or disturb it at all, and it was very attractive.

Pothos, (in the philidendrum family) are super easy to root, as some of you may already know, from starting cuttings in water for new plants. They also require very little light, and are able to survive almost any environment.

I have never seen or heard about any houseplant put into aquariums since then, and am quite curious about whether or not to try this. It worked so well in my friends tank. Is it safe? Would love as much feedback and advice as possible.

Thanks everyone, for taking the time to help me consider this.

Mich

i woudlnt know if they would live in there or not but i'm trying to find out if clover can live in an aquarium also.

Some houseplants (like pothos) can survive with their roots in water, but not the leaves, provided they get enough light. None of them can survive fully submerged long term.

Thanks for the input,....clover sounds awesome! How are you going to check it out? Keep me posted?

Mich

Thanks for the input,....clover sounds awesome! How are you going to check it out? Keep me posted?

Yes, the plants probably would rot,....I wonder how he kept his looking so great!?
If I had known back then, that I would be a complete addict of aquatics,....I would have asked him!!

It probably won't hurt to try it right? Can anyone think of anything toxic about it right off hand?

Many thanks!
Mich

Mich said:

Yes, the plants probably would rot,....I wonder how he kept his looking so great!?
If I had known back then, that I would be a complete addict of aquatics,....I would have asked him!!

It probably won't hurt to try it right? Can anyone think of anything toxic about it right off hand?

Many thanks!
Mich
One question, why do you double post? I've seen you do it twice so far.

David said:
Mich said:

Many thanks!
Mich
One question, why do you double post? I've seen you do it twice so far.
probably an accident Ive done it a few times sometimes your internet lags and you click twice.

Thanks so much!! Looks beautiful. I'll pass this along to the person who posted about it. Thanks again!

Well yes, rotting plants are not good for a tank, they can cause an ammonia spike and mini-cycle. I assure you that pothos (which is not a philodendron, although it is also in the aroid family) is not an aquatic plant. It will not survive long term underwater. So why waste your time and energy? Get some aquatic plants instead. Anubias barteri is also an aroid and thrives fully submerged, often even flowering underwater. If you really want to grow pothos in your tank, find a way to keep the leaves and upper stems out of the water, just the roots and lower stems in, and it will do fine. This works best on open topped tanks with lighting above.

I also know that bamboo can live in your aquarium just as long as part of it is out of the water and it does only work on open top aquariums like luxum said

I assume you are referring to "lucky bamboo" which is a Dracaena species, not actually a bamboo. Real bamboo is terrestrial and will rot. But yes as you said "lucky bamboo" will live emersed with just the roots in water, but again not completely submerged.

Thanks for your input! I think I'll just nix the idea all-together, because it sounds like trouble waiting to happen, and I don't want to take any chances.

I have never had good luck with aquatic plants, but will give it another try. I think I'll try the aquatic 4 leaf clover I heard about yesterday, which sounds and looks, (on their website)quite lovely. Besides, I can use all of the good luck I can get!
:nod:

http://www.java-plants.com/dev/products.as...&cat=Plants_F-J

Thanks again for all of the input and advice, it really helps. I am so glad I have this site to come to when I'm just not sure about something.

Mich said:
Thanks again for all of the input and advice, it really helps. I am so glad I have this site to come to when I'm just not sure about something.
That's what we're here for!

Glad to be of service.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back