Hot Water From Where

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tuskancharger

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Okay people a question i need to ask when doing a water change can i use the water from the hot water tap or do i have to boil up in a kettle . I ask because i recall some time ago reading something to do with copper sulphates? from ther hot water tap

Okay people a question i need to ask when doing a water change can i use the water from the hot water tap or do i have to boil up in a kettle . I ask because i recall some time ago reading something to do with copper sulphates? from ther hot water tap

Some people would argue that hot water from a tap contains heavy metals, however this is only true if the water is being stored in a copper tank before being heated.. i use hot water from the tap.. but generally using a good water conditioner ie. API stress zyme, then it gets rid of it. but if you are not sure about how your tap water is stored, or have a cheapo water conditioner, then boil water and do it that way

good luck

thanks for such a quick reply hot water does get stored in the cylinder but it is really heated by the central heating system

Oh I hate this topic. None of us realllllly know the answer coz we have never tested for copper in our hot water AND we all have systems of a slightly different age so what is true for us may not be true for anyone else.

Id say, If you havent replaced any pipes recently, and your boiler is not new then any copper that is likely to be free'd up and dissolve into the water would have gone by now.

To play it safe if you're worried - or if you have shrimp in the tank (Which are very sensitive to copper) use a dechlorinator that also binds heavy metals. I think stress zyme does this although others do as well. Simply read on the packet. Also, only use enough hot water to take the edge off the cold. Fish are not bothered by a drop of a few degrees, simply pour the new water in by the water-output of the filter so any cold is "diluted", and take your time.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back