Hose question.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Lynnzer

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I am thinking of changing the 16mm hoses, both inlet and outlet on my external filters down to 12mm. The tanks are really not all that big and I would like to try and go smaller if possible or sensible. One of the ideas is that I can then get a reduced water flow from the inlet rose and the pipework will be tidier.
I have some reducers already 16mm to 12mm but before I go looking for 12mm hoses does the idea strike you as one that would be OK.
If so, then any suggestions from the UK members which ones would be best woulf be appreciated. Every time I search for 12mm hoses I get lots of things that look sort of dodgy. I would rather go with a stiffer hose than the silicone rubber things, unless silicone is a decent thing to go for.

I'm not in the UK so I can't advise on material source. That being said, your flow rate will be approximately 56% of the original. You need to be careful that you do not reduce the inlet pressure to the impeller too much as this can cause cavitation and impeller damage.

The intake hose is usually bigger so more water can get into the filter.

It's not normally recommended to reduce the intake hose because pumps require certain amounts of water flow to stop the motors overheating.

If you want to reduce the water movement in the tank, try having a spray bar, and maybe add more holes to it or make the current holes bigger. Try having no spray bar. Face the outlet into a corner or some rocks to break up the flow.

The intake hose is usually bigger so more water can get into the filter.

It's not normally recommended to reduce the intake hose because pumps require certain amounts of water flow to stop the motors overheating.

If you want to reduce the water movement in the tank, try having a spray bar, and maybe add more holes to it or make the current holes bigger. Try having no spray bar. Face the outlet into a corner or some rocks to break up the flow.
You can also plumb a feedback loop from the outlet back to the inlet with a valve to regulate the feedback. Close the valve and you will get max output, open the valve and you will get minimum output flow. The pump will be running at its designed throughput in either case. This will also refilter a portion of your water (proportional to valve opening) before it is discharged.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back