Hornwort

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

corylover5

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I went to Petco today to get some toys for a few of my pets (not fish) but of course I had to check the live plants and fish section. When I was looking around at the plants I saw a large Hornwort bunch for a really fair price. I got the plant but now that I have it home I don't know if it would do better planted in my sand with root tabs or as a floating plant. When it was at the store it was floating and it has very small roots as far as I can tell. Should I leave it as a floating plant or should I plant it? Thanks in advance.

i would let it float until it grows some good roots, then you can plant it if you want to

the scuds should be fine, the fish might eat them but if not they should just eat debris

no problem :)

One more question. I found a Nerite snail in my tank yesterday although I'm not sure how he got there since I never bought a nerite snail. Will the nerite snail, mystery snail, Giant Tower cap snail, or Colombian Ramshorn snail eat the Hornwort? Thanks again

hornwort doesn't grow roots. And don't plant it, it rots.

Either float it or anchor it. I anchor it by trying it to something above the substrate.

Take a photo of this plant, there should not be roots if it is really hornwort

Sorry. It doesn't have roots. I looked at the piece that I thought were roots but it was a broken piece of a rubber band.

Attachments

• 20200716_170427.jpg
    20200716_170427.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 92
Hornwort is how scuds got into my tank too. Frustrating but harmless. I have found that the plant will sometime shed its needles randomly, but my shrimplets absolutely adore it. It's a great place for fry and babies to scoot around in a more protected area.

I've never seen any of my snails eating it: Ramshorn, mystery, nerite and rabbit. Should be safe from that!

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back