Horizontal Stripes On New Betta?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Lisa67

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to bettas. I have a group of females in a 16gal tank. Several days ago I bought this one. She's small, definately the smallest in my tank and appears to be light purple. Even at the store she had 2 horizontal stripes ...I thought it was a sign of stress. She has been in my tank for about 4 days now and the stripes are still there. She hides a bit but does come out. She eats and appears completely healthy. Water quality is perfect. Do some betta just have stripes? I know you cant see the stripes at all in the pic but thought it might help anyway.

fsihpic2.jpg

fishpic.jpg

I'm fairly new to bettas. I have a group of females in a 16gal tank. Several days ago I bought this one. She's small, definately the smallest in my tank and appears to be light purple. Even at the store she had 2 horizontal stripes ...I thought it was a sign of stress. She has been in my tank for about 4 days now and the stripes are still there. She hides a bit but does come out. She eats and appears completely healthy. Water quality is perfect. Do some betta just have stripes? I know you cant see the stripes at all in the pic but thought it might help anyway.

fsihpic2.jpg

fishpic.jpg

how long has the betta been in for it could be stressed but tbh my female betta has always had horizontle stripes so may just be normal but she could still be stressed just give her time shes not ill by the sounds or look of her :)

When I got my female, she had her stripes for a few days..
They went about 4-5 days after she was put into her new tank.
She could still be stressed about moving into her new home, she might just need some time to settle down :)

I just bought one a week ago..she will have those lines for a few days as said above ^^^ vertical stripes mean shes ready to be mated.. The one pinkish female u have there is really nice:D

How many other fish do you have in the tank?

Thanks everyone. I have 9 betta in the tank (16 gal). Wish I could add more :sad:

NOPE, not at all. It's a pretty heavily decorate tank so I guess all the hiding spots help but the fish don't seem to hide much.

Just checked on her and the strips seem to be fading. Guess shes setteling in.

Should fade as she settles although some femakes do show them constantly so if shes healthy i wouldnt worry to much

Most reactions

Back