Hoping To Get A Marine Tank Soon

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
your going to like the saltwater its fun. about the skimmer are you going to run your tank without a sump?
/

Save money .... dont bother with ocean rock !! wast of time it displace water and doesnt filter it!! just get as much l/r as you can!!!

power heads = seio m820 / 820 Gallons per hour / 3200 Litres per hour (£18.20 plus 10er p&p) very good i use this! and lods other one hear too!!!

Ther also lower models!

koralia's are ok but lots money for nuffthink really got one my self not the best!! but good thing is that magnet holder!! but defo 100% on the seio m820!!!

HOB skiimers are ok! tho get a sump :D :p

Good luck with the marine

The problems with Seio are that:

1) They are made by Rio, who have a very bad name in powerhead manufacturing

2) They are somewhat large and clunky when compared to the Hydor Koralia or Tunze NanoStreams

3) Due to the lack of a magnet holder and design they are restricted in which directions they can point.

The problems with Seio are that:

1) They are made by Rio, who have a very bad name in powerhead manufacturing

2) They are somewhat large and clunky when compared to the Hydor Koralia or Tunze NanoStreams

3) Due to the lack of a magnet holder and design they are restricted in which directions they can point.

1) they didnt do to bad with the seio

2)These are smaller then a rio skimmer pump and just as big as some tunze / clunky my hydor is clunky

3)mods search search search! i cant point mine wer ever i want :good:

1) they didnt do to bad with the seio

Not bad yet. Rio is a copmany which made powerheads that would fail and start nuking the tank and even make the tank water "live" due to failings in the electrics. I just cannot trust any company which does that.

2)These are smaller then a rio skimmer pump and just as big as some tunze / clunky my hydor is clunky

I have stood with a Seio in my hand and then looked at my Tunze nanostreams. The Seio are an out of date design based as a cheap copy of the old Tunze Streams (which have now been updated to be more like the NanoStreams).

But with the price of a Seio you can get a Hydor which does it all for you, why spend money and then have to mod it?

Don't get me wrong, Seio are alright pumps, but the NanoStreams and the Hydor Koralia are much better.

But with the price of a Seio you can get a Hydor which does it all for you, why spend money and then have to mod it?

Don't get me wrong, Seio are alright pumps, but the NanoStreams and the Hydor Koralia are much better.

show me ware you can get a hydor that pumps 3200l for under 20quid!

and your telling me ur never got somethink and never modded it... :p cheers

Show me a Seio that can pump 4,500 LPH for 8W!

(hint, you can't, the closest you will find is the M1110 which is 4,300 LPH at 15W).

Also, look at the prices. The Seio M1110 does 4,500 LPH for £36 ish (can probably get it cheaper). Even the Tunze 6045 is only £55, and that is paying for the best make of powerheads there is. So, you save a few quid at the purchase but it costs nearly twice as much to run meaning that within 2-3 years (not that long in keeping a reef) you are paying more for the Seio which is larger and uglier in the tank.

I have never bought a powerhead (or anything else) with the intention of then having to mod it when there is a far more reliable and better constructed example on the market that already does what I want it to do (Tunze). The only fish related things things I have purchased as aquatic products to mod are my tanks which I then drill as I already have the drill bits and as such save £20 each time on the hole.

When it comes to buying equipment I prefer to outlay more money at the start for a decent and reliable brand that costs less to run than to buy a cheap model which I then have to modify to get to do what I want and then have to pay twice as much to run.

I always find it strange that when people are prepared to pay £10-£20 standard for each fish or coral, and in the region of £10 per kilo on live rock that they seem unwilling to pay an extra £20-£50 on powerheads which will save them money in the long run both in terms of reliability and cost to run.

Show me a Seio that can pump 4,500 LPH for 8W!

(hint, you can't, the closest you will find is the M1110 which is 4,300 LPH at 15W).

Also, look at the prices. The Seio M1110 does 4,500 LPH for £36 ish (can probably get it cheaper). Even the Tunze 6045 is only £55, and that is paying for the best make of powerheads there is. So, you save a few quid at the purchase but it costs nearly twice as much to run meaning that within 2-3 years (not that long in keeping a reef) you are paying more for the Seio which is larger and uglier in the tank.

I have never bought a powerhead (or anything else) with the intention of then having to mod it when there is a far more reliable and better constructed example on the market that already does what I want it to do (Tunze). The only fish related things things I have purchased as aquatic products to mod are my tanks which I then drill as I already have the drill bits and as such save £20 each time on the hole.

When it comes to buying equipment I prefer to outlay more money at the start for a decent and reliable brand that costs less to run than to buy a cheap model which I then have to modify to get to do what I want and then have to pay twice as much to run.

I always find it strange that when people are prepared to pay £10-£20 standard for each fish or coral, and in the region of £10 per kilo on live rock that they seem unwilling to pay an extra £20-£50 on powerheads which will save them money in the long run both in terms of reliability and cost to run.

So you cant show me a hydor that pumps 3200 for under 20quid?

i cant show u a seio that does 4500lph for 8w , but i can show u a seio 3200lph at 15w for under 20quid....

i cant show u a seio that does 4500lph for 8w , but i can show u a seio 3200lph at 15w for under 20quid....

And therein lie the point of my final paragraph; that you are willing to go cheap on one of the most essential pieces of equipment in your tank just to save what is the equivalent of one fish in money's terms now and pay more in the long run.

Why are so many fishkeepers so short-sighted when it comes to buying equipment? Why not spend a few quid more and get a much better product? In the grand scheme of setting up a SW tank, £20 is rarely anything like 10% of the total cost.

And therein lie the point of my final paragraph; that you are willing to go cheap on one of the most essential pieces of equipment in your tank just to save what is the equivalent of one fish in money's terms now and pay more in the long run.

Why are so many fishkeepers so short-sighted when it comes to buying equipment? Why not spend a few quid more and get a much better product? In the grand scheme of setting up a SW tank, £20 is rarely anything like 10% of the total cost.

Some people are on a budget and when a seio m820 for under 20quid and will do the job niceley why not!!! they cant be that bad lods people on hear have them!!

Theyre certainly not bad, but theyre also not the best, and when the best isnt much more expensive, and when we're talking one of the most essential parts of your tank, it's often a good idea to start off with the best you can get. I'm with andy on this one. When you're a long term hobbiest you're going to end up with the pricey hardware anyway, might as well save up for it in the beginning.

have you finished arguing now? lol

right so think i now have everything sorted. Filtration will be an external fluval filter, (may get a second one at some point), a hang-on or submersible skimmer (preferably that does alot larger than my tanks volume, just to be on the safe side) and to start with 20kg of live rock, hopefully building up to 30 or more in the future.

Substrate will be live sand mixed with coral sand, and i am unsure of lighting, i want to keep corals, so what lighting should i get. i would prefer ones that fit into the hood that comes with it, i do not want to have to buy an over tank luminaire unless i really have to.

Circulation will be the return pipe of the fluval, (surprisingly powerful) and 2 koralia 2300lph powerheads.

Please help if any of this is wrong. and also what media would be best for the external filter?

Right now its time to talk fish. There are alot of fish that i like, but the one i like the most is the yellow tang so i want to get one of those.

This is my potential stocklist:
1 yellow tang
2 common clown fish
4 pyjama cardinal fish
3 firefish
1 royal gramma
1 mandarin fish
1 flame angel
1 flaming prawn goby
1 carpenters flasher wrasse
1 clam (tridacnea maxima)
10 hermit crabs
2 cleaner shrimp
1 blood shrimp
15 snails (including turbos, astraea, and cerrith)
1 Serpent star
1 Feather duster worm

and corals

In my setups with canister filters I've always kept it simple and had great success. In the first chambers I use either rowaphos or activated carbon, or both, depending on what I need at the time...sometimes neither. Under those chambers I keep rock rubble. Then I leave the large foam pad in the left chamber and make it a point to clean it out weekly or biweekly. As for cleaning the rock rubble, I will sometimes clean the whole can out, just dump the rocks and the old tank water from the can into a bucket and pick them back up out of the bucket and add them back to the can with new saltwater.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back