NM

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

No lights whatsoever....they have no eyelids, as in they cannot blink or close their eyes. Any light other than natural hurts them.

I did mention more than once before you got these two that you might not see much activity during daylight hours cos they are fully nocturnal when there are no lights to hurt them

My lad was hyper a night which is why I ended up moving his aquarium from beside the bed to the lounge cos his nightly silliness kept me awake (especially his playful breeching and occasional lid headbutt). Even in the lounge he was loud enough whilst playing to be heard at night. Always woke to find dislodged lid and puddles on the surrounding furniture from his shenanigans.

Early morning...and I mean early like 4am when I get up...it was still dark so thats when I fed him and then he did his usual 40 laps of the aquarium before settling down for the day and he would curl up in the plants or in his hides and only occasionally come to play if I walked by his aquarium and he would show his tummy at me or sit gazing into space from the top of his hanging branches (I used artificial hanging branches made by Exo Terra that attach to the glass by suckers and are easy to clean....my lad loved climbing in them or hiding in them during the daytime)

Mine are kept in dim lighting & at 60-65F.
think this may affect activity level, but reading it‘s best & replicates native habitat
Mexican Walking fish (Axolotls) are different to the cave salamander. Axos come from lakes that are exposed to sunlight. The cave salamander lives its entire life in caves and never sees sunlight.

Exo Terra appears to be a wholesaler. I loved some of their fake plants! But I’m seeing no way to order or even ask a question. This company name sounds familiar. They may have made the big bamboo tweezers I got from Amazon. I’ll check there. Really liked the fake ficus. I have a real ficus tree by the tank.

Fake ficus trees are very common. Wonder if they’re made with a tank safe material.
Exo Terra is a manufacturer, not a wholesaler.....they do reptile equipment, vivariums etc

Any supplier of reptile gear should carry Exo Terra...some aquatic suppliers do too

we tell you that light at night will hurt your axolotls and you still decide to go ahead with it

I wonder if having them separated will have any impact on Sally’s activity level? Now you need a camera for both:rofl:

Wordering the same & expect she’ll increase her activity level, may take a while. If I can’t move the cam far enough back to see both tanks, I‘ll focus it on hers. Enough of Mander swimming back and forth like a fiend all night & pausing only to bother that poor girl.
Do you think you will keep both long term, or eventually rehome one of them for the sake of only having one tank dedicated to axolotls?

I have never rehomed a pet in my entire life & never will unless I’m half dead. The empty 20 G tank was actually purchased for a pair of Golds with fluffy pink gills, but I’m just not all that into axies. But me & Mander & Sally are friends to the end. ❤️❤️❤️
I had to rehome my electric blue acara:shout: i did so much research and thought I had picked good tank mates, but he started eating all his bloodfin tetra buddies. It broke my heart. I felt like I had made a commitment to that animal and I let it down.

I‘m very sorry you had to go thru that. It must have been grueling, but you did the very best you could. I’ve been making lucrative stock market buys & sells for a while, so my situation is different.
It was rough, but my LFS took him and found him a good home.
Ooo Very nice😎

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back