hopefully good news...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TAZZ

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
well just thought id post - i htink my cycle is finally coming to an end, i tested my water today and my nitrites had dropped from 1.6 to 0.6. and ammonia is zero.

just a question... when should i perform a water change? when should i clean the filters? when should i vaccuum the gravel with the water change? on my stones im getting a green and brown algae - can i clean these yet?

thanks

tazz

when ur cycle is completely done u should do 25% weekly water changes.
clean ur filter pads once a month but only clean one at a time so u dont harm the biological balance. u should vacum the gravel everytime u do a water change, but thats up to u, some ppl dont do it. as for the algae, i wouldn't clean these until ur cycle in complete, infact i wouldnt do anything to the water until the cycle is complete.

I clean my filter media about each fourth time I do a water change ( once a month ) . I use the water from the tank to clean the filter media, so not to kill of the beneficial bacteria. Some people do this, others don't.
The algae can be beneficial too, but if it starts going everywhere and out of control, reduce you're lighting time.

Do you have an algae eater in the aquarium ??

just tested the nitrAte lvls... im getting 5mg/L <- can anyone advise me if this is good plz?

edit* oh and the ammonia and nitrite lvls are both zero :D
thanks

tazz

im just finishing off cycling so i dont have a algae eater yet.

any hints in what i should look for in terms of an algae eater? the tank is 33 gallon so a reasonable size should b taken into consideratoin :)

are corydora melini algae eaters? if so i could possibly get 2 of these :D

tazz

Try an orange bristlenose. Very nice fish, take a look in the picture section to have a gander.

Or perhaps an Ottocinclus, I think wotfish has posted some piccies of those.

i agree bristle or otto would do and no cory melini, would not eat algae!

Most reactions

trending

Back