Hong kong pleco

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Duncan

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've got two wonderful, filter ornaments - Gastromyzon ctenocephalus (I believe) Hong Kong Pleco was the shop name.

I went out with me 2 older kids to get some more test strips and I was wanting a pleco, to start cleaning my tank (I've got a lovely algae plantation going  :D ).  The worst thing is I only wanted the one, but with having 2 kids with me, a fight started and I had to nip back in and get another - kids  :hmm:

I'm looking for some info on them, I think they're bonny looking and I've tried searching on line and no much info on the go

Duncan

Try looking here m8

www.planetcatfish.com

This site is cram packed full of good advice and helpful info :grin:

Is this the pleco that your talking about? http://www.nfis.com/~hartland/aqua/fish.html

If so they seem to do better in colder aquariums ie gold fish tanks etc but im told that they should be fine in a tropical set up :)

I have seen these fish many times in my lfs but for some reason (probabally liking fancy Pleco's) have never bothered with them :what:

I'll keep looking for you to try and get some more usful info :D

Thanks Pete,

I lost them both  :( 1 last night and the other this morning.  I think it's my water control, and also, it didn't help me kids fighting over them on the way home.  I also had to do a water change which probably didn't help.  I did see some bite marks on the 1 that died this morning, the marks weren't there last night.  I'll wait till me water settles down before getting more.  Nitrites down to 1 now, I'll be doing a water change shortly.

the link you showed was the hong kong pleco, I had except for the bars on top, ours had spots all over and it changed colour.

Duncan

I'm sorry to hear that m8, what exactly were they housed with?

Some fish will attack small pleco's but its rare that they actually kill them if they are just community fish :what:

they were housed with, 7 neon tetras, 6 black widows and a pair of dwarf gouramies.

Duncan

Most reactions

trending

Back