Honey gourami

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

embsidney20

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello

I am going to get some honey gourami today for a 125 litre. I have never kept more than 2 but have learnt that they display better and will be happier in a small group?

If that is the case, could someone advise male to female ratio and how many I can get? I was thinking 4 but would like to see what people think.

So much conflict on Google 😂

Hello.

4 is a good number and with 4 it should be 3 females and 1 male. That will leave you room for bottom feeders,. a school of 10 panda, dwarf or Pygmy corys would be great.

Hello.

4 is a good number and with 4 it should be 3 females and 1 male. That will leave you room for bottom feeders,. a school of 10 panda, dwarf or Pygmy corys would be great.
Great thank you! Hopefully they have females in stock 😄

I have a little group of 6 peppered cories already. They spawn all the time so I think the gourami will enjoy finding the eggs in all the plants 😂 love cories, best fish imo haha

i forgot about the peppered another excellent choice.
i hope they have females Honey as well, if they don’t ask them to order some. But whatever you do don’t mix your gouramis, different kinds of gouramis don’t get along and the honeys would get bullied to death.

Just spoken to my lfs. They are very small and the guy who "knows stuff" isn't in today 😂 I'm gonna go and have a look anyway.

Yes definitely not mixing. Can't stand a disruptive community! Plus my Cory's are so happy, I'd hate for anything to target them!

The Honeys are very peaceful and perfect with your corys. Your setup is what I’m planning to do in my next tank. Can’t wait.

Go check them out, good luck. I want to see a picture of your tank when done if possible.

Don't get red honeys. Those are a different species.

Meet Frodo, Merry, Pippin and Sam 😂 no idea what sex they are, they are TINY! Shop happy to swap my out for different sex adults if and when the time comes but hopefully no problems. All seem to display the grey stripe? One less so than the others!?
IMG_20211007_151314.jpg

The Honeys are very peaceful and perfect with your corys. Your setup is what I’m planning to do in my next tank. Can’t wait.

Go check them out, good luck. I want to see a picture of your tank when done if possible.
This is my tank. Probably won't be able to find the little guys once they are in 😂😂 awaiting two anubias hastifolia mother plants to hide the back panel and need some frog bit other than that, I'm very happy with my tank 😊 thanks for your help BTW. Acclimatising as I type!

Attachments

• IMG_20211007_103316.jpg
    IMG_20211007_103316.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 94
It's usually female yellows which have the stripe, but these fish are pretty stressed at the moment so give them a few days to settle. If any of them develop orange colouration towards the tail, they are likely (though not 100% certain) to be males.

It's usually female yellows which have the stripe, but these fish are pretty stressed at the moment so give them a few days to settle. If any of them develop orange colouration towards the tail, they are likely (though not 100% certain) to be males.
Lovely thank you. The bag doesn't do them justice for their size, they are about 2.5cm!

When viewing in the shop, one had very vivid colouring but since being in the bag it has developed a very faint line. Its dorsal is particularly longer than the other ones but otherwise, almost identical. If they did turn out to be all female do you think that would be a problem? I have no interest in breeding just want them to feel comfortable in the tank.

Great little fish anyway, just released them, no hiding at all, had a feel of some of the cories and now they are scrounging around for food 😊

A group of just females should be no problem. But 2 males could decide to fight it out over who owns the tank.
Yes, they'll check everything out with their feelers :)

By the way, gouramis like floating plants so they'd settle in faster if you got some floaters ;)

Absolutely no floaters in stock! I was looking at frog bit, not 100% on floating plants and what's best though! I'd love something with long roots!

You can buy plants on-line, that's where all my plants have come from.

I have frogbit in my main tank, the roots trail on the bottom of the tank. I know you aren't supposed to but I trim them so they don't quite reach the bottom but they soon grow again. My pearl gouramis live between the roots :)

OoooH! They are so cute!!! Your tank is gorgeous, they are going to be so happy with you. Everything you have been told is correct. I have 3 female pearl gouramis in my tank and they get along great. The biggest one sometimes chases the others but nothing vicious. I haven’t been able to find a male and since like you I don’t plan on breeding them I have quit looking for one, I am completely content with my 3 females.
Post another picture of your thank when they are happily settled in.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back