Honey Gourami tank.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sharkweek178

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
This is just in the planning stages for now.
I have a honey gourami who is the centerpiece of my 29 gallon tank. But I think I would like him to have the company of his own kind. There isn't really room to add more honeys to the main tank. So what I'm thinking is starting a new tank for him. Him, and 2 or 3 female honey gouramis. I would prefer a 15 gallon but might go with a 20 long. (If I do a 20, it might as well be a long since a high has the same surface area as a 15 gallon). It'll be low tech with carpeting plants.
I think the toughest part will be finding female honey gouramis.

With respect to tank size, no less than 30 inches/75 cm length in the best interest of a group. Lots of substantial floating plants. If the substrate is sand you could have a group of cories (12-15 minimum, assuming the "normal" medium-sized species). And probably some upper level "dither" fish.

With respect to tank size, no less than 30 inches/75 cm length in the best interest of a group. Lots of substantial floating plants. If the substrate is sand you could have a group of cories (12-15 minimum, assuming the "normal" medium-sized species). And probably some upper level "dither" fish.
Right now, the plan is for the floor of the tank to be carpeted. I don't think there would be enough sand exposed for corys.

Right now, the plan is for the floor of the tank to be carpeted. I don't think there would be enough sand exposed for corys.

Fair enough, it was just some tankmate ideas. Gourami like cichlids seem to like having "dither fish." BTW, "carpet" plants depending what this means may require brighter light, something that is detrimental to the fish like gourami.

Fair enough, it was just some tankmate ideas. Gourami like cichlids seem to like having "dither fish." BTW, "carpet" plants depending what this means may require brighter light, something that is detrimental to the fish like gourami.
I'm trying out Helanthium Tenellus first and seeing how that does with low-medium light. Or maybe java moss attached to plastic mesh.

I'm trying out Helanthium Tenellus first and seeing how that does with low-medium light. Or maybe java moss attached to plastic mesh.

Like I said earlier, it depends on how one identifies "carpet" plants, some would not include H. tenellum while others might. But it certainly grew rampant for me with my moderate/low light. Lovely plant.

One thing I'm wondering is if anyone has any advice for getting female honey gouramis. I never see them in stores and online ordering generally won't sex the fish they sell.

I have six female honey gouramis available. They’re the brown wild type, not the gold variety. I bought a group, hoping for both sexes, but they all turned out to be girls. I’m willing to ship.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back