Honey Gourami - Tail Fin Fight

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Well, you've both done a wondrous job of proving yourselves right. Hats off and gold stars to both of you. Now, let's get back to helping the OP.

So. @LCFC_Rallsie , you do need to separate the aggressor from the hurt fish, or it will only get worse. A few questions:
1. Does your tank have a filter? If so, what kind of media and how long has it been up and running? Is your tank cycled? If so, you might be able to use media from your existing filter and do a quick setup in a new container.
2. Can you find some sort of fish-safe container that you can move the hurt fish into? Even a large plastic storage tub would be better than nothing; just ask @Boundava .
3. Does the split fin have any sign of infection, such as white crud growing in it? Or is it a clean split? If the latter, it will probably heal on its own if you can get her away from the aggressor. If it's infected, it might require medication.

Let us know about those three things, and we'll help you further.

Last edited:
Well, you've both done a wondrous job of proving yourselves right. Hats off and gold stars to both of you. Now, let's get back to helping the OP.

So. @LCFC_Rallsie , you do need to separate the aggressor from the hurt fish, or it will only get worse. A few questions:
1. Does your tank have a filter? If so, what kind of media and how long has it been up and running? Is your tank cycled? If so, you might be able to use media from your existing filter and do a quick setup in a new container.
2. Can you find some sort of fish-safe container that you can move the hurt fish into? Even a large plastic storage tub would be better than nothing; just ask @Boundava .
3. Does the split fin have any sign of infection, such as white crud growing in it? Or is it a clean split? If the latter, it will probably heal on its own if you can get her away from the aggressor. If it's infected, it might require medication.

Let us know about those three things, and we'll help you further.
Hats off and gold stars to us? And you asked US to be nice? Lol okay. And I was trying to help but I'm not gonna go back and forth with someone on a thread - so I left the thread.

OK well, I will repeat that separation is the best first option. Next step is to ensure clean water, that is the best way to help heal fins. No need for medication unless a fungus sets in-but ensuring the tank has clean water will help negate that. Sis has a knife fish that was mistaken for a snack by a bichir, it chomped his tail fin almost to his body. We didn't treat anything other than making sure the water was clean, that was a couple months ago and the knife fish's tail is almost 100%.

Just as an addition, IF medication or salt is needed you can dip the fish in a medicated bath or salt bath. Had an angel with some fungus and three dips in methylene blue (one dip over 3 days) fixed that. This is advantageous when you don't need to treat the whole tank, or you are treating a massive tank, like 120 gallons and don't want to go bankrupt treating the tank.

QT tanks are good for this too, but I find a large critter keeper works well for a quick dip as needed.

Plastic tubs work for temporary to long term housing for QT or separation. Most can even support a HOB. I add plastic plants (or real) so the fish aren't so stressed and even a thin layer of coarse sand or fine gravel so you can siphon clean the substrate. It also makes the container less stressful. When I moved into my last house I had to wait until the (funds) basement was remodeled to set up the tanks (fish room). I had three 55 gallon black plastic tubs set up (orange box store HDX brand) and the fish were (happily) in there for over half a year. I even had a clear tub for plants I had moved from my prior tanks.

Many use tubs as temporary breeding containers-which turn into fry tubs when the parents are removed.

Good luck with the gouramis. Also WhistlingBadger has some great questions, and I will add one more (OK two-lol); how many gouramis do you have in the tank and what size is your tank? I ask because honey gouramis are very social and a group of 6 is a good number to keep them distracted. Try to get more females as the males can be territorial if the tank isn;t big enough.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Back