Honey gourami swim bladder issue?seems

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Renzo77

Reaction score
Iā€™ve made a thread about this before but my honey gourami is somehow still sick. Before I was talking about how he would stay at the top of the tank and breath from the surface and suspected it was a bacterial infection. It did seem he got better as time went by but now heā€™s gotten similar symptoms again. Iā€™m not too sure whether it is a swim bladder issue or not since although he floats by the top he seems to manage to dive to different levels of the tank but he also often points his tail downwards which Iā€™m suspecting is a way of controlling or balancing himself.

Iā€™ve attached a video of him and Iā€™d like it if I got suggestions to what it may be. Thereā€™s some key things that Iā€™d like to get an opinion on: my gouramis swim bladder seems to be visible and seems to protrude slightly on the sides, his tail seems to point down slightly but off camera his tail can be seen at around a 45Ā° angle (usually when swimming further away from the surface)

Besides that he seems healthy, he still has an appetite and has the energy to swim towards the front of the tank

The fish does not appear to have a swim bladder problem, however it's hard to tell from the short clip with a horrible camera angle. If you are going to film something with a phone, have the phone horizontal not vertical, and make a clip about a minute or so long.

You can check the fish's swim bladder by watching it swim.
If the fish constantly sinks and struggles to swim up, then it has a swim bladder problem.
If the fish floats up to the surface and struggles to swim down, then it has a swim bladder problem.

-------------------------
The fish is skinny and has a lump sticking out of the caudal peduncle region (before the tail). There are no internal organs in that area so it's nothing to really worry about yet.

How often are you feeding the fish and what are you feeding it?
Try feeding it 3-5 times per day on a variety of dry, frozen (but defrosted) and live foods.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day or two, to compensate for the extra food going into the tank. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

-------------------------
It looks like there is something white on the fish's tail. A clear still picture of this might help ID it.

Most reactions

trending

Back