honey gourami pale white , bloated, floating at top.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

nirarhennis

Reaction score
C55FD319-CA01-4570-A858-50C4187B0C04.jpeg

I have a honey gourami in a tank with 3 other gouramis, they get along very well. But since our last tank cleaning weā€™ve noticed our honey gourami is very very bloated and very pale almost white, itā€™s also been staying at the top of our tank and breathing kinda hard. Iā€™m not sure if it is a male or female. The other gouramis seem to be fine and they are all seemingly bigger than the honey. I try not to over feed with just a little bit of flakes every night or every other night if itā€™s to late.

Hello and welcome to the forum! Bloating can mean several things, none of them good. So let's try to figure out what's happening. Some questions.
Do you have a test kit? I'd be interested to know your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.
Tell us about your last tank cleaning: How do you do water changes? Did you change your filter media?
Does your tank have a working nitrogen cycle? How long has it been set up?

Hello and welcome to the forum! Bloating can mean several things, none of them good. So let's try to figure out what's happening. Some questions.
Do you have a test kit? I'd be interested to know your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.
Tell us about your last tank cleaning: How do you do water changes? Did you change your filter media?
Does your tank have a working nitrogen cycle? How long has it been set up?
I do not have a test kit. I can definitely get my hands on one. I did do a feeding and watched them the honey did not eat at all. When we clean the tank just recently my boyfriends been cleaning the tank itself with them in it (everytime before I had him remove the fish) and we fill whatā€™s missing of water, we make sure to put all the necessary products to balance the water out. It does not have a working nitrogen cycle i believe, heā€™s had the tank for awhile but the 3 of 4 fish are new from just over 2 yrs. The honey has been this way since the cleaning which was just a day or so ago.

OK. We need to know more so we can help you figure out what's happening.

What products are you using to balance the water out?

Please tell me more about what specifically you did to clean out the tank.

Also, you should get your hands on that test kit as soon as possible and test for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Immediately if possible. Those issues can kill fish in a hurry.

Most reactions

Back