Honey Gourami not as bright as the ones in pictures.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Personwithafishtank

Reaction score
So most the pictures of gouramis I see look like this
1602782811561.png
they are a bright orangish yellow color that is beautiful. And my honey gourami looks almost identical to this one:
1602782873543.png
(note this is not my fish im unable to get a picture of it right now) But im not sure why, I've given him plenty of time to adjust to the tank, its a 20 gallon with many hiding spots and only 3 zebra danios as his companions, The tank parameters are 0 Nitrites, 0 Ammonia, 7.5 Ph, and about 5-10 nitrates) If your experienced with this species please help!

The fish in the bottom photo looks like a female honey gourami of the natural colour. They are beige, often with a darker stripe from nose to tail. The natural coloured male is tan with a yellow top fin and a black throat when mature but when they are stressed they look like females.
The photos here show a natural coloured male and female.

There are also yellow honey gouramis, and a red fish often sold as honeys, though the red ones may not be pure honey gouramis. Both of these were made by selectively breeding the natural colour.

I'm not experienced with this species, but I'm familiar with the problem. I suspect, in your case, it's age. This looks like a very young fish, and it probably hasn't colored up yet. It's also worth keeping in mind that most aquarium photographers catch their fish at the best possible moment, with the light hitting them just right, and I suspect a lot of them enhance the photos from there. So with most fish, expecting them to be as vibrantly colored all the time as the on-line pics might not be realistic.

I notice you are located on the moon. That might be part of your problem too. I've never been there, but I hear that keeping the water unfrozen and properly oxygenated up there is hard work.

The fish in the bottom photo looks like a female honey gourami of the natural colour. They are beige, often with a darker stripe from nose to tail. The natural coloured male is tan with a yellow top fin and a black throat when mature but when they are stressed they look like females.
My fish has neither of these stripes, so I am curious if its because its only about 11 months old.

The fish in the photo looks to me like a female natural colour. I know the photo isn't your fish, but if yours is a pale silvery beige, with or without a stripe as not all females have them, I'm sure that's what you have.

The fish in the photo looks to me like a female natural colour. I know the photo isn't your fish, but if yours is a pale silvery beige, with or without a stripe as not all females have them, I'm sure that's what you have.
Im on vacation right now having family feed it but I will take a picture and reply to it here when im back, however i would like to say my fish is a little more brown and less silvery

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back