Honey Gourami listing sideways on plants and at the bottom of tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Bullying doesn't have to be physical, it can be chemical as well.
Fish secrete pheromones and allomones. These are chemical signals which are picked up by fish of the same species (pheromones) and different species (allomones). These signals include aggression signals which stress other fish. We cannot see this type of bullying.
Adding to that, I am going to give it a few more days but like I said I got that dwarf gourami to go in the tank with the Honey but it doesnt seem like they really give a hoot about each other. I've also started to notice the Honey I have left has been hiding in the back of the tank behind my plants and logs since I took the small one out of the tank. Should I go get another Honey for it ? I honestly dont think I have anymore room left to spare fish wise with the addition of the dwarf. Normally its always out in front of the tank swimming around and gets close to the glass when me or my wife walk by so there has definitely been a change it.

If they are both males it could be stressed by the new dwarf. Can you post clear pics of both of your current gouramis?

I'm sorry about your fish, a loss always sucks. I hope your tank makes a come back. I had a similar experience with 10 fish from the same clutch, they all died and couldn't figure out why. Lps said it was a "bad batch" as all fish from that supplier in that shipment had died also. Just watch the new gourami carefully for any illness, best of luck!

If they are both males it could be stressed by the new dwarf. Can you post clear pics of both of your current gouramis?
I will today I took a couple last night cause I noticed the dwarf is missing scales and my wife said it looked like one of the mollys was going after it so I may have to set up my wifes small tank.

I'm sorry about your fish, a loss always sucks. I hope your tank makes a come back. I had a similar experience with 10 fish from the same clutch, they all died and couldn't figure out why. Lps said it was a "bad batch" as all fish from that supplier in that shipment had died also. Just watch the new gourami carefully for any illness, best of luck!
Thank you I appreciate it. Everyone else in the tank seems to be doing fine. That was the first loss I have had besides the one platy I got that slammed itself into the glass when I turned the light on, before I got a timer. Luckily the normal supplier I go to I have never had a fish die from, I normally check out all of their tanks and if I see to many dead fish in there I wont buy anything and wait till they get another batch in.

Heres the pictures you requested. The dwarf gourami looks like it's missing scales, its fin looks messed up to. I have a mollys in the tank, you'll see it in the pictures, that's constantly going st other fish, I think I may need to move it into a separate tank.

Attachments

• 20210425_212322.jpg
    20210425_212322.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 20210426_235903.jpg
    20210426_235903.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 20210427_000133.jpg
    20210427_000133.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 42
The female honey gourami (it looks just like the females I used to have) looks fine in the photo. But the male dwarf does not.

I am not good with diseases but it is possible the dwarf in the first photo has dwarf gourami disease - one of the symptoms of that is ulcers. Is the third photo the same fish as the first? I can't see it clearly.

If the molly is being aggressive, removing it is probably the best thing to do.

The female honey gourami (it looks just like the females I used to have) looks fine in the photo. But the male dwarf does not.

I am not good with diseases but it is possible the dwarf in the first photo has dwarf gourami disease - one of the symptoms of that is ulcers. Is the third photo the same fish as the first? I can't see it clearly.

If the molly is being aggressive, removing it is probably the best thing to do.
Yes it is, I was trying to get a picture of both sides of it but when I moved the light to see it better it scared the gourami. The molly has always chased the other fish especially when feeding but I never seen it actually attack any of them. This poor dwarf looks like its been attacked but I havent seen it myself nor my wife.

I read somewhere online about getting a breeder box or next and putting it in the tank and placing the problem molly in it. Anyone ever had any success with this or heard of it ? Apparently it can help lower their aggression by seeing the other fish but not being able to get tot hem for a a few days.

That can be done as a temporary measure while you find a new home for it, but as soon as it goes back in the tank it will start again. Isolating a fish for a few days does not change the behaviour.

That can be done as a temporary measure while you find a new home for it, but as soon as it goes back in the tank it will start again. Isolating a fish for a few days does not change the behaviour.
Ill have to do that then till I can get another tank set up for it, cause I noticed today that dwarf wont swim in any part of the tank but the top level, I dont know if its scared or sick.

Here are some better pictures of the same fish, the fin that runs along its belly looks pretty rough. I just took these photos today, idk if its sick or getting attacked. I am getting ready to head to the store now to get what I need to isolate it or the molly. All my other fish look fine.

Attachments

• 20210427_190849.jpg
    20210427_190849.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 20210427_191043.jpg
    20210427_191043.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG957077.jpg
    IMG957077.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 35

Most reactions

trending