Honey Gourami changed Color

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Astronomiii

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi there,

I recently installed my 20 gallon tank not too long ago, about 2 months ago, I had cycled it correctly, and the test strips for the nitrate/nitrite were practically at 0, since I had thought everything was fine, I left my tank for 2 weeks to vist my mother, the second on cominig back after those 2 weeks, I was horrified to see my honey gourami, about half his face was in this blue and black shade, with algae all over my tank, after giving it a wipe down, he looks like he healed a little bit, but is not healing anything more, just with a small patch of black on him

Water Parameters : Nitrate / Nitrite, none

PH : 6.8 (Yes i notice its a little low)

Fish : 2 Red Swordtails, 2 Sunset Honey Gouramis, and 1 Small Rainbow Shark + 3 Pepper Corys

I would just like to know whats happening to him, and any way to let him have that bright yellow color again, anyways, all help is appreciated!

(will post a picture asap)

There's nothing wrong with your Gourami. The blue/black shade is a normal color change for a male Honey Gourami to make when he's wanting to breed with a female. It's called breeding colors, and it is how he shows off to the ladies. It will go away on its own when your pair has already mated and is no longer in a mating mood.

There's nothing wrong with your Gourami. The blue/black shade is a normal color change for a male Honey Gourami to make when he's wanting to breed with a female. It's called breeding colors, and it is how he shows off to the ladies. It will go away on its own when your pair has already mated and is no longer in a mating mood.
Wow baby gouramis

I remember my brother would always say "fish only breed if they are in perfect water conditions", thats strange because my PH seems a little low

I wouldn't worry about your pH as far as the Honey Gourami go, although it is a bit low for the Swordtails. You could bump it up a bit gradually with some crushed coral or aragonite sand in a filter bag in your filter. Honey Gourami are one of the fish species that have a pretty wide range of pH levels they do well in, anywhere from 6.0 to 7.5 pH. 6.8 is well within that range. Honey Gourami are also one of the fish that are more likely to breed in somewhat acidic, soft water, so if your pH is a bit lower after your trip that might have something to do with why your Honeys chose now to spawn. Some people will even gradually make their water softer and more acidic if they are having trouble getting Honey Gourami to breed as a way to trigger breeding behavior. As far as fish needing perfect conditions to breed...there's definitely a range on how true that is. There are a few species that need perfect conditions to breed, and there are some like Guppies and Swordtails that will breed in virtually any conditions, but a lot of aquarium fish are in the middle, and Honey Gourami are considered "moderately easy" to spawn and so don't need super exacting conditions. That said, if your fish are breeding in your tank that's usually a positive sign that you are meetings their needs.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back